• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently re-reading the Faraday & Winter series of novels by Graham Hurley for the 4th time.
    https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/faraday-and-winter

I've read loads of crime fiction (Ian Rankin, Stuart McBride, Ann Cleeves to name a few) but Hurley is my favourite.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

"How Bletchley Park won World War II" by Michael Kerrigan.

Rather more of a coffee table book than most of the genre, with shiny paper and lots of photos.

Reasonable enough in its way, and now finished.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Ker.../dp/1782746099
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

"C U Next Tuesday: a look at bad language" by Dr Ruth Wajnryb.

All about naughty words.

"The Hidden Landscape" by Richard Fortey.

All about the geology underlying Great Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          "The Hidden Landscape" by Richard Fortey.

All about the geology underlying Great Britain.
          That's done & dusted.

Inneresting enough.

Next: "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson.

It's about some nerd or other apparently.

Don't drop it on your foot, it's a tome.

<hiatus>

Apparently this Jobs chap had a personal hygiene problem too.

As well as being an obnoxious twat to a lot of people & stealing money from his friend.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 March 2021, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Now finally onto a book that I haven't read, now that I've reacquainted myself with the series:

The New Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
            I am now halfway through the last book in the series. I think it's about right that it's coming to an end. The previous book and this one both feel like the author is struggling find something new to say.

The Sixth Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I am now halfway through the last book in the series. I think it's about right that it's coming to an end. The previous book and this one both feel like the author is struggling find something new to say.

The Sixth Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
              Finished this last night. I have to say it actually ends very well and the story line felt less of a struggle than the patch I was going through when I posted the above. Theoretically, there's an opening for more books but I'd hope not.

Now moved on to A Tale of Seven Elements by Eric Scerri. Following the discovery of seven "missing" elements, with all the scientific intrigue, skullduggery and whatnot that those pesky scientists get up.

Comment

From quarks to the universe - A short physics course; E N Economou; Springer (2nd ed, 2016)
                Very informative, and one can skim over the equations and get a lot out of this book. God, all that quark and gluon stuff is complicated. It's a wonder they managed to figure it out (although no one still has any idea why, among other things, there are three generations of elementary particles)

How to debate leftists and destroy them - 11 rules for winning the argument; B Shapiro (2014)
                Any lefties here? Prepare for incoming!

Complete works of Sheridan Le Fanu; J Sheridan Le Fanu; Delphi (2013)
                M R James was the best ghost story writer ever. End of! And J Sheridan Le Fanu ran him a close second. I rarely read fiction these days, but will make an exception for him if I have time as I haven't read many of his stories before.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Next: "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson.

It's about some nerd or other apparently.

Don't drop it on your foot, it's a tome.
                  Finally got through that.

The sort of book that requires a crane if you're trying to read it in bed.

Next: "Betrayed" by David Leigh, being the story of the Matrix Churchill debacle and the perfidy of government.

Ancient history now.

Bozo would have been in his element lying his bollocks off in that one.

Comment

Honeybee Democracy by Tom Seeley. Amazing book and probably interesting to non beekeepers too.
                    Last edited by Scoobos; 7 April 2021, 02:02.

Comment

"...The Heavens and the Earth: A political history of the Space Age" by Walter A. McDougall.

Turns out it was written on a Trash80 with a publication date of 1985, winning the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for History, with a 1997 preface (presumably not written on a Trash80) for the current edition.

<hiatus>

Well this one isn't an easy read by any stretch of the reading glasses.

"Red Moon Rising" (not the poetry one) was an easier read and a good deal more inneresting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Moon-Ri.../dp/0747593078
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 April 2021, 04:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X