• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Done: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Fire & Steam" by Christian Wolmar Nah.

"Wartime Britain 1939 - 1945" by Juliet Gardiner. Another door stop: 782 pages. Purchased 04/08/2007 so nicely matured.
    Done. Off to Oxfam with it along with the paperback cop of "Fire & Steam" by Christian Wolmar that I found whilst excavating in the garage last week.

Among some very unpleasant details, the description by someone who witnessed the Lewisham V1 attack of 28th of July 1944 will be difficult to forget.

The other thing that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere was the declaration of war by the IRA in January 1939 and the subsequent murders in Coventry etc.

Next: "Nuclear War Atlas" by William Bunge: turns out this tome is actually worth money (£100 odd), but appears to be almost unreadable and written by someone who appears to be a follower of that Marx chappie.

I'm sure Oxfam will be grateful to receive it once I'm done with it.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 September 2023, 21:40.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

"Unit 731: Japan's Secret Biological Warfare in WWII" by Peter Williams & David Wallace (1989) inspired by the TVS documentary.
      Well that was a happy read & no mistake. I begin to understand why Glyn the ex Japanese POW loved them so much.

Off to Oxfam with it though it's as rough as a badger's arse.

Next: "Open Verdict" by Tony Collins, being the story of all those curious "suicides" of programmers, engineers, et al, in the 1980s.

Comment

Next: "Nuclear War Atlas" by William Bunge: turns out this tome is actually worth money (£100 odd), but appears to be almost unreadable and written by someone who appears to be a follower of that Marx chappie.

I'm sure Oxfam will be grateful to receive it once I'm done with it.
        Done: Off to Oxfam with it, I'm sure one or other of the local Marxists will love it.

Next: Fields of Thunder by Denys Blakeway and Sue Lloyd-Roberts: or how to strew radioactive tulipe all over Australia & Christmas Island, in the process contaminating servicemen & then denying that it ever happened.

Stunning tale of incompetence.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 September 2023, 07:38.

Comment

a one person book club, with no fiction section? - right!

Comment

Originally posted by whinylittlefeckingbilly View Post
            hey we have a one person tulip post generator! You started on the sauce early again?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
              So add some fiction to it then.

I assume you can read.

161 posts out of 567. .
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 September 2023, 12:13.

Comment

Next: "Open Verdict" by Tony Collins, being the story of all those curious "suicides" of programmers, engineers, et al, in the 1980s.
                Done! Off to Oxfam with it.

This relates thereto:

http://www.gpss.force9.co.uk/deaths.htm

Next: "The Great Extinction: what killed the dinosaurs and devastated the earth?" by Mike Allaby & James Lovelock.

This was written before they figured out where the thing had impacted in the Yucatan so spends an inordinate amount of time debating this.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 September 2023, 08:40.

Comment

Done! Off to Oxfam with it.

This relates thereto:

http://www.gpss.force9.co.uk/deaths.htm

Next: "The Great Extinction: what killed the dinosaurs and devastated the earth?" by Mike Allaby & James Lovelock.
                  Nah when Dinosaurs ruled the earth was a documentary

haven't you heard?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/66044011
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This was written before they figured out where the thing had impacted in the Yucatan so spends an inordinate amount of time debating this.
                    Done. A less inneresting read than I found it originally. Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Enemies of the State" by Gary Murray. All about those nice spooks. And no, it's not "fiction" but more probably closely "faction" as are all these inside story tomes.

Gosh. I'd forgotten the ins & outs of this one: Hilda Murrell features a lot, along with a fair few others fitted up by the State, such as Willie McRae, one of very small group of people who've managed to shoot themselves in the back of the head. .
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 September 2023, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
                      Here you go you miserable mofo:

https://artful.design/think66/2019/stuff/twilight.pdf

https://americanfuturesiup.files.wor...helen-oloy.pdf

https://sites.uni.edu/morgans/astro/.../nightfall.pdf

https://s3.us-west-1.wasabisys.com/l...of%20Isher.pdf
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 September 2023, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                      X