• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Illegal immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    It's all a moot point anyway as NL will be out in a year and a half. ID cards will be scrapped under a Tory Govt.
    And immigration will be stopped, the economy turned round, IR35 abolished, welfare scroungers eliminated, crime controlled .........
    ........ in the Big Rock Candy Mountain.....

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      The awful thing is that we couldn't stand that (at least I couldn't), but some immigrants would still take the risk.
      I didn't mean Scots!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
        A daily beheading of all illegals, live on telly, would, I suggest, put an end to the problem in about 30 minutes.
        I object

You can't go showing that sort of material on free to air television.
        You'll damage my snuff video business.

BTW. How much do you want for the overseas video and PPV rights?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          And Timberwolf, you must be a hoot at parties...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            What is the problem with ID cards? Germany has had them for years
            Spain's had Bullfighting for years and we don't want that.
            and if British people are so annoyed about illegal immigrants then they would welcome them.
            Except we're (mostly) not so dim as to think having ID cards will stop (or even cut significantly) illegal immigration
            Over here, you have to carry ID with you all the time and when stopped you have to produce it.
            Over here we are not used to demands to see our papers - something to do with history makes us uncomfortable. We also have a historic presumption of innocence - so if the cops stop me they can ask who I am, but they cannot demand proof. If they think I'm lying it's up to them to arrest me and prove it - and I think that is the right balance.

If you don't have an ID on you then the police will either call someone to ascertain you are who you are and then follow up with a home visit although in most cases they will drive you to where you (say you) live and get you to produce ID. If you don't have valid ID then you're arrested and kicked out of the country, said and done.
            As I said in the original post, in this country if the Police find illegal immigrants with no ID they give them a piece of paper telling them to report to the authorities and let them go - which is why ID cards won't make any difference.
            As for the German police "kicking people out" - where do they send people with no ID? I suspect you haven't really done much research on this have you?

Comment

Unfortunately Immigration can't win. Lock them up in Dungavel and the likes and they're damned by the press and the looney left or let them go and trust them not to abscond and they're damned by the rest.

Also, Britain had ID cards up until 1952.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                Unfortunately Immigration can't win. Lock them up in Dungavel and the likes and they're damned by the press and the looney left or let them go and trust them not to abscond and they're damned by the rest.
                Policy and practise in these matters should be governed by the law, not PR and spin, it's a job not a popularity contest. I seriously doubt many people would object to the two men featured in the programme being locked up and then sent back to where they came from - nor indeed the bloke featured in the same programme who was driving without any documentation at all and had been here since 1998 on a six month tourist visa. If immigration aren't going to enforce the law, let's just save money and fire them all - otherwise what are they for?

Indeed, Winston Churchill's govenment abolished them. Lord Chief Justice Goddard remarked in the landmark case that led to the abolition that the continuation of ID cards was an annoyance to the public "and tended to turn law-abiding subjects into law-breakers"

Comment

Oh yes. I am one of the few here who already has an ID card (somewhat expired admittedly).

But it's not the ID card itself that's the problem, it's
                  a) the database behind it, and
                  b) the use that will be made of it, and the different balance of government vs citizen that will go with its introduction.

Comment

Oh yes. I am one of the few here who already has an ID card (somewhat expired admittedly).

b) the use that will be made of it, and the different balance of government vs citizen that will go with its introduction.
                    I've got my late Father's one - we have the same first initial. It's a floppy bit of cardboard - no photo.

Comment

But didn't everyone know each other back then and the immigrants know their place?
                      Bored.

Comment

Working...
                      X