• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Archbishop of Cantebury - STFU !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    He is IMHO the strongest leader the CofE has had in my rather long memory. Not a raving tyrant, but a strong force in theology and society.
    are you a Christian?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You lesser human beings make me laugh
      You just can't abandon the God idea, can you, so you sit on the fence trying to hedge your bets.
      As any intelligent person can see, religion and gods are purely human cultural artefacts.
      Once you've understood that, and the fact there are better ways to explain emergence of life on earth, the God idea can be discarded completely.

The argument that it is not proven either way is nonsense - it hasn't been proven that tooth fairies don't exist either but you're not "tooth fairy agnostic" are you?
      And you claim to be a man of science...
      Is the existence of the tooth fairy falsifiable?

To put it another way - why isn't it possible that some being planted the spark from which you evolved (admitted, it was probably more of a squib). The God illusion may well be a "cultural artefact", but the possibility of there being something more powerful in the universe than humans cannot be denied by anybody with a grasp of statistics and the number of planets in our galaxy alone.

And - as it happens, I'm not on the fence with the tooth fairies - don't you remember those black and white pictures from the 1930s? Proof positive if you ask me.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        And you claim to be a man of science...
        Is the existence of the tooth fairy falsifiable?
        yeah there's no difference between God and a tooth fairy obviously, doh

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I take the point but I would say that, although you may go with that description if indeed you care what I think, but an important part of my philosophy is that I do not think about it and I do not care to refine the description. The whole question of classifying one's point of view like this belongs to religion, and I am non-religious. Not anti-, but definitely non-. I dislike being dragged into these discussions, as if the religious people, who would prefer me to believe in their god, will settle for making me at least discuss their interests in their terms.
          Never accept the premise of the question eh?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            yeah there's no difference between God and a tooth fairy obviously, doh
            In this discussion, no.

Shush now, theologians are talking.

Comment

In this discussion, no.
              then it's a stupid discussion

Comment

then it's a stupid discussion
                Do you want why it isn't explained to you, or are you going to look it up?

Comment

Do you want why it isn't explained to you, or are you going to look it up?
                  explain to us why tooth fairy is a valid analogy, do you not think there's any serious major differences between tooth fairy and God?

Comment

explain to us why tooth fairy is a valid analogy, do you not think there's any serious major differences between tooth fairy and God?
                    In the essence of the discussion, no.

There’s an equal amount of evidence for the existence of both.
                    Existence (or not) of either cannot be proven.
                    Both have basis in human interpretation of facts.

If you like, we can replace the tooth fairy with any of the following;

Father Christmas
                    Easter Bunny
                    Flying Spaghetti monster (not strictly, as it's a made up spoof but you get the idea)

Comment

In the essence of the discussion, no.

There’s an equal amount of evidence for the existence of both.
                      nonsense, get an education please

Comment

Working...
                      X