• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saudis allowed to murder Murdoch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    February 21, 1803
    Edward Despard, last person drawn and quartered in England

HTH

Not according to Wikipedia, which states that the sentence was commuted to hanging and beheading to avoid public dissent. Interesting though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Marcus_Despard

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      February 21, 1803
      Edward Despard, last person drawn and quartered in England

HTH
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWbZOl0Wyw

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/capital_hist.htm

“Gibbeting - where executed corpses were displayed publicly in cages - was abolished in 1843. In 1861, the number of capital crimes to four: murder, treason, arson in royal dockyards and piracy with violence. Public executions stopped in 1868 and the hanging, beheading and quartering of traitors ended in 1870.”

I think that crushing to death also ended around 1870 (i saw the site last year), it’s not all that long ago in historical terms.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What about this attempt to criminalise criticism of Islam, from the Wall Street Journal.

You can be convicted in your absence, in an Islamic country. You'll be fine in most European countries, but if you go somewhere where freedom isn't quite so highly valued, you run the risk of being extradited.

I do wonder when (if) mainstream Islam will get out of the middle-ages.

It seems to me that muslims who take offence at the slightest provocation are far more guilty of bringing the religion into disrepute, than, e.g. some rather peurile cartoons.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          What about this attempt to criminalise criticism of Islam, from the Wall Street Journal.

You can be convicted in your absence, in an Islamic country. You'll be fine in most European countries, but if you go somewhere where freedom isn't quite so highly valued, you run the risk of being extradited.

I do wonder when (if) mainstream Islam will get out of the middle-ages.

It seems to me that muslims who take offence at the slightest provocation are far more guilty of bringing the religion into disrepute, than, e.g. some rather peurile cartoons.
          No no no...you don't understand. Islam a peaceful "religion", has the utmost respect for women, is not intent on forcing its philosophy on the entire planet and doesn't believe in violence.

...and I am the Tzar of Russia.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Wahabinist Islam is a quite appalling irrational creed that has no place in modern society. About time some stopped living in world where reality never shines and started looking at the facts.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              [url]I think that crushing to death also ended around 1870 (i saw the site last year).
              Pressing was abolished in the 1770s, partly because the Fleet ditch was bricked over at that time (and I think today it's a good 50 feet below street level).

In case anyone wasn't aware, pressing was a medievil relic whereby if someone charged with a felony refused to plead, whether guilty or not guilty, they would be taken to a room called the Pressing Room in Newgate Prison, spreadeagled to the floor with chains and have large paving stones piled on their chest. Hence the expressions "pressing charges" and "getting the weight off your chest".

By custom, during this process (which might last days) they were given only bread, and water from the nearby Fleet Ditch (see above) which by then was a fetid poisonous swamp.

It was quite a crafty form of torture because, as well as obviously being distressing, the difficulty in breathing meant the prisoner became short of oxygen and thus light headed and confused, which made it more likely they would yield.

For some utterly bizarre reason, and I've no idea why, if the accused successfully resisted making a plea then upon conviction their goods and chattels were not forfeit to the Crown (whereas they all were if the accused had entered a plea). So for anyone with property they wished to pass on, there was a big incentive to resist making a plea, and an equal incentive for the Crown to force one out of them.

After pressing was abolished, the obvious solution was adopted of entering a not guilty plea on the accused's behalf if they refused to plead. But as forfeiture was abolished not long after, the issue soon became moreorless moot anyway.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Wahabinist Islam is a quite appalling irrational creed that has no place in modern society. About time some stopped living in world where reality never shines and started looking at the facts.
                WHS. What happens when nuts have money and power.

Unfortunately some in this site believe that Saudi's run Islam.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

considering the crap I seen on fox tv and sky, well I wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    What happens when nuts have money and power.
                    ...um, they get elected president of the usa?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Backward bloody savages...there, I have said it!!
                      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                      X