• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USA Just Gone Bust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Any viable alternatives for them?
    Not really no. The two institutions are so closely bound to the rest of the banking system that if they failed they'd take down most of the worlds finaincial institutions with them. Even rumours of problems with them are enough to seriously affect the world economy.

They don't actually lend money for mortgages themselves, they buy mortgages from other banks, effectly underwriting the lending and sell them on to investors. The interest repayments they make to the banks are more than the UK GDP. If they defaulted on those payments it would not be a Good Thing(tm).
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Not really no. The two institutions are so closely bound to the rest of the banking system that if they failed they'd take down most of the worlds finaincial institutions with them. Even rumours of problems with them are enough to seriously affect the world economy.

They don't actually lend money for mortgages themselves, they buy mortgages from other banks, effectly underwriting the lending and sell them on to investors. The interest repayments they make to the banks are more than the UK GDP. If they defaulted on those payments it would not be a Good Thing(tm).
      I knew this, I was really after the unique insight of our daily mail crustacean.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Oh, and the USA pumping money in like this will just delay the inevitable crash of world economies and make the crash when it comes, bigger and harder to cope with.

Doomed++
        I was thinking much the same. If house prices recover, I'll be selling.

Comment

Excess liquidity got us into this mess and created all these bubbles.
          Ironically US is finding its way out by printing trillions of dollars to create more liquidity.
          Economy is more complicated than rocket science

Comment

I knew this, I was really after the unique insight of our daily mail crustacean.
            The unique insight is this. Supporting failed business models through public money only delays the eventual collapse.

The markets might boom for a while, maybe even house prices in the USA and UK will rebound back to the peak again.

But the failure of the system will happen sooner or later. If things go back to boom, sell everything at the top and sit on cash, for the bust will follow and the USA will be bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              The unique insight is this. Supporting failed business models through public money only delays the eventual collapse.

The markets might boom for a while, maybe even house prices in the USA and UK will rebound back to the peak again.

But the failure of the system will happen sooner or later. If things go back to boom, sell everything at the top and sit on cash, for the bust will follow and the USA will be bankrupt.
              So your unique insight is economies have peaks and troughs.

Comment

The Millionaire Dim Prawn (TM) didn't become so by being stupid you know
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

No, my insight is that what looks like a rescue plan and a solution to the sub-prime credit crunch is infact just delaying and intensifying the crash that is in the near future.

But hey, I'm just here for the Aygo driving permie to laugh at.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    The Millionaire Dim Prawn (TM) didn't become so by being stupid you know
                    I'm psychic!

I read Oracle's post and said to myself "Sas will be along next, he smells blood in the water like a piranha"
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      I'm psychic!

I read Oracle's post and said to myself "Sas will be along next, he smells blood in the water like a piranha"

Halibut.

Comment

Working...
                      X