• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond confirms council tax plan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It was not a good idea at all. Should all people pay the same income tax regardless of income?
    You answered it yourself. The poll tax was not an income tax.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      It is a tax and the question is should it be levied according to means or not?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        It seems like a way of getting poorer people to pay a larger proportion of tax, by stealth. If not, why not scrap it and increase income tax?

Comment

If it is a tax then it should be done centrally and distributed according to need so that rich boroughs like Kensington and Chelsea can subsidise poorer ones in, for instance, Merseyside.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If the tax is raised and distributed centrally then how on earth do local authorities have any accountability to the people they are supposed to serve?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If the tax is raised and distributed centrally then how on earth do local authorities have any accountability to the people they are supposed to serve?
              That is going away from the issue. We would still have local elections. We could probably cut out an entire layer of worthless pen pushers in City and County halls all over the UK.

It was you who suggested those who can afford it should pay more so why shoudl that be restricted to those who live in an area?
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

They never have had any real accountability, as soon as they're elected they have 4-5 years in uncontested power if their party has a majority in the council. The only thing that can change that situation is a sizable mutiny and as we all know politicians are far more concerned about their party loyalties than their electorate since they know what side their bread is buttered.
                It's exactly the same for central government that's why I despise our electoral and political system.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  That is going away from the issue. We would still have local elections. We could probably cut out an entire layer of worthless pen pushers in City and County halls all over the UK.

It was you who suggested those who can afford it should pay more so why shoudl that be restricted to those who live in an area?
                  What is the point of having local elections if there is no link of responsibility between the service providers and the local people?
                  If central govt is funding the regions and making the decisions then surely central govt should pick who they delgate to. At least this way central govt then carries the responsibility for delivering council services.

Comment

No, it should not be. Poll tax (and council) as I understand it are taken to pay for local services like fire brigade, garbage collection, police etc - I doubt rich person generates much more rubbish then well off ones, but in any case the amount taken in form of council tax is way too high for the "benefits" it brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      English Tax payers!
                      Or, to be more exact, from Tax payers living and working in England of various nationalities.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X