• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price fixing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price fixing

Alright guys/gals, what does the panel think? British Gas has just put up prices by 35%, and now they're offering to fix prices until 2011. Do I take them up on the offer (are prices likely to go up even further?), or are prices likely to come down?
    Yes - it will only go up
    6.25%
    No - its a scam and the prices will come down - look what happened to oil
    93.75%
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

If they're offering to fix prices, then they think that prices are likely to come down. Or at least they won't go up so much that the guaranteed income offsets the lower profit margin.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured. I reckon I'll probably be better off shopping round and changing supplier. (to be honest though I can't remember ever seeing the bill actually come down!)
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What would AndyW do?

Comment

I'm still waiting for the government or some official body to take action, given how we keep seeing companies post record profits. Fair enough, prices are rising but the companies could be expected to keep their markups the same?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's because there's been a lot of publicity about fixing prices before the rise. British Gas are counting on large numbers of people being too stupid to realise this is an offer to fix your price after the rise.

And it'll probably work.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              It's because there's been a lot of publicity about fixing prices before the rise. British Gas are counting on large numbers of people being too stupid to realise this is an offer to fix your price after the rise.

And it'll probably work.
              the question really, is will it go up even further? as I'm not an energy trader I have no idea! - 3 years is a long time...

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'm still waiting for the government or some official body to take action, given how we keep seeing companies post record profits. Fair enough, prices are rising but the companies could be expected to keep their markups the same?
                It got privatised - so now they can do what they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  the question really, is will it go up even further? as I'm not an energy trader I have no idea! - 3 years is a long time...
                  The prices have already gone down. It's their way of paying the shareholders more money at your expense. Best thing to do is invest £10k in their shares and get a rebate that way.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I haven't looked at it closely, but ignored the offer they sent me since my gas bills are tiny. Gas is still way cheaper than electricity per kWh though. Shame cars don't run on it. On the surface it looks like a punt, and surety for those that want it (and are incapable or unwilling to put on a jumper ).

Comment

Working...
                    X