• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Continued violence in Georgia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    The russians will not stop until they have met each of their objectives.
    And what are they?
    They will want any peace deal to include a signed commitment from georgia never to use force again in the disputed regions. This will basically give the regions full defacto independence.

They will want to ensure that georgia will be in no position to join nato, ever. For this they need to keep georgia in some kind of limbo state, where by it is in constant dispute over its lost territory, and with a severly weakened militaray. They will never gain nato membership under such circumstances.

I would also say a change of government in tblisi would suit the russians nicely.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      They wont go into Tblisi, there is nothing in it for them. They dont want to control/annex georgia.
      The Georgian government? I wonder what the US would say if the Russians arrested the Georgian president on a charge of war crimes for ordering the indiscriminate firing of rockets at civilian targets. Oh, and you can't very well leave a country without a leader, so just pop one of those nice Russians in there as a "caretaker" president.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
        The Georgian government? I wonder what the US would say if the Russians arrested the Georgian president on a charge of war crimes for ordering the indiscriminate firing of rockets at civilian targets. Oh, and you can't very well leave a country without a leader, so just pop one of those nice Russians in there as a "caretaker" president.
        Ossetians (they are Georgian after all )
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          It would not be the Russians whom would arrest him -given that Georgia is a member of the International Criminal Court’s Rome Statute, which means that a prosecutor from the court can unilaterally investigate alleged abuses committed on Georgian territory – both by Georgians and Russians

( see extract below from FT online ...)

The Russians will press two arguments on South Ossetia.

The first is that the Georgians unilaterally violated the peacekeeping framework under the aegis of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe, and can no longer be allowed a presence in the region.

The second is that there must be a tribunal for war crimes committed there.

Georgia is a party to the International Criminal Court’s Rome Statute, which means that a prosecutor from the court can unilaterally investigate alleged abuses committed on Georgian territory – both by Georgians and Russians.

The Russians are not party to the statute but have said they might file complaints.

Potentially, the court could prove an arena where the facts of this conflict are properly investigated – but only if both sides co-operate with an inquiry that might uncover evidence of terrible human rights abuses.

Comment

Just heard bush give his little speech and say the US are sending a C19 full of "medicine and humanitarian aid" (read guns n ammo) to tblisi.

A test by the US I think - Lets see how serious the russians really are.

Odds of it being shot down by a stray sam?
            Last edited by Pickle2; 13 August 2008, 15:24.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Looting reignites Russia-Georgia tensions
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Once one gets east of dover all civilisation ends.

Comment

Working...
                X