• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Continued violence in Georgia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the georgians have brought this onto themselves. I dont mean individual civilian georgians, I feel sorry for those. But at geopolitical/state level, they are getting exactly what they have asked for.

Just as the serbians got the treatment dished out to them for their butality and opression in kosovo. So the georgians are getting theirs for their vile rocketing of Tskhinvali. These rockets were not pinpoint affairs, they were Grad multi-launch systems, designed to be used against wide area targets. It was a deliberate attempt to kill civilians, and it worked. >1,500 dead! Saak is a loon, and the west would do best to have nothing more to do with him.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      I think the georgians have brought this onto themselves. I dont mean individual civilian georgians, I feel sorry for those. But at geopolitical/state level, they are getting exactly what they have asked for.

Just as the serbians got the treatment dished out to them for their butality and opression in kosovo. So the georgians are getting theirs for their vile rocketing of Tskhinvali. These rockets were not pinpoint affairs, they were Grad multi-launch systems, designed to be used against wide area targets. It was a deliberate attempt to kill civilians, and it worked. >1,500 dead! Saak is a loon, and the west would do best to have nothing more to do with him.
      I'm beginning to think the same from reading about it all.

Comment

Inaction

As far as inaction goes what are we supposed to do?

Virtually the whole British army is in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Are you going to go and fight Russians? Pick up your pitchfork and go boy!

The reality of the situation as I see it is that the UK is doing nothing because thats all it can do at this time.

Do you really want to militarly square up to the most populous nation in Europe?

I would imagine that Russia has more military reserves than most of Europe and although AFAIK conditions in the Russian Army are atrocious and desertation high they still have conscription and owing to their autocratic tendencies would find it easier to mobilise larger numbers of troops

We are fighting wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and possibly Pakistan is going to require military intervention soon. What possible benifit to Europe/UK be, getting involved in a war of attrition in Georgia, with the country that supplies most of Europes energy.
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
          We are fighting wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and possibly Pakistan is going to require military intervention soon.
          That's going to be the big one I think.
          Bored.

Comment

YouTube

Information War Accompanies Fighting in Georgia

The History
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

As far as inaction goes what are we supposed to do?

Virtually the whole British army is in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Are you going to go and fight Russians? Pick up your pitchfork and go boy!

The reality of the situation as I see it is that the UK is doing nothing because thats all it can do at this time.

Do you really want to militarly square up to the most populous nation in Europe?

I would imagine that Russia has more military reserves than most of Europe and although AFAIK conditions in the Russian Army are atrocious and desertation high they still have conscription and owing to their autocratic tendencies would find it easier to mobilise larger numbers of troops

We are fighting wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and possibly Pakistan is going to require military intervention soon. What possible benifit to Europe/UK be, getting involved in a war of attrition in Georgia, with the country that supplies most of Europes energy.

You are forgetting the British people have £1,000,000,000,000+ in equity in their homes. We could release this equity together and buy the biggest. most technically advanced military in the world. If we wanted to.

Instead we'll spend it at the Land of Leather half price sale.

Comment

oh dear

Witness - Russian forces head to Tbilisi
                Times correspondent sees 'huge' Russian column heading south from Gori towards the Georgian capital, despite ceasefire

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4522720.ece
                Bored.

Comment

We are fighting wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and possibly Pakistan is going to require military intervention soon.
                  Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  That's going to be the big one I think.
                  Agreed, that is going to be very tricky, not least on the home front.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    Agreed, that is going to be very tricky, not least on the home front.
                    We'd have to bomb Bradford for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      We'd have to bomb Bradford for starters.
                      And Leeds, and Leicester, and Slough, and Bolton, and Hounslow and most of East London . . . etc, etc etc
                      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                      X