• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sometimes, life is pretty tulipty.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    "Munchausen syndrome is a psychiatric disorder in which those affected fake disease, illness, or psychological trauma in order to draw attention or sympathy to themselves"

HTH
    Troll, if you are right then well diagnosed.

Otherwise

**** off,

Seriously

Comment

It's Groundhog dayDid he misplace a kid btw?
      Good work troll, I forgot the guy who killed himself had four, not three kids. Like it if I I PM proof of both both. Happy to if, sure it'll make you feel good about yourself. I eally mean that part btw.

Maybe I'll get my missus to call as well, talk about how she's feeling right now, instead of crying her fooking eyes out upstairs cause her best frined is going to die - you know it really is that important to me that you care.

Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Well it could be worse, you might find out you're Scots.

100% agree about this getting older lark. It's so overrated yet everyone's at it.

Hope you get a few more grey hairs watching the Celts submit on Friday, before a well-earned bout of normality interspersed with a few of those silver linings that you seem to be owed.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          I'm generally speaking a pretty positive person in life.

This getting older business is pish.

Sorry, just wanted to let it out. Not a sympathy fishing trip so drop it before it starts.
          Before I was a contractor, I was a permie oh yes, before I was employee I was a penniless student. I sought to alleviate the dire financial situation with a summer time job cutting the grass at the local cemetery. (Huge place just outside Oban on the west coast you'll pass it before you descend into town) well I cut the grass every week with a push lawnmower, left it like Wimbledon and felt well chuffed by the end of the week overlooking the magnificent site of freshly cut grass, one strip light one strip dark, perfect.

It was a beautiful summer's morning fresh n crisp the sun's rays were only beginning to burn out the morning mist. So it was I got out my lawnmower undid the petrol cap and began to pour fuel into the tank when I recognised the name on the headstone. It was a friend I used to know at school I remember reading in the local paper three of them died when the car went skidding off the road (the Oban area is known for bad roads), three teenagers life's snuffed out for a thrill. I remember the whole day I could not help thinking that while their they laid here I was 4 years later cutting their grass... it got me thinking. Some of my best thinking was at that cemetery, just me the peace and the quiet, it was bliss. 4 years I've been granted 4 years extra so far, bonus - this is how I thought -

I worked there for three summers and unfortunately the boys names were not the last names I would recognise, I felt it necessary to make sure the grass would look as good as it could.

Three summers had passed and all I could think of now 'I've made it', 'I've survived', not even the noise of the lawnmower could drown out those thoughts. The sense of accomplishment was overpowering and enormously satisfying and that's when I thought about how it's not important the life we have remaining but the life we've had. For every day is a gift and I do pity those before me who have not had the same opportunity, while at the same time my number could be easily called, then how would I feel? I intend to make sure I never feel regret and to this day I can say the same satisfaction I got from seeing the freshly cut grass runs through me today.

The time outs I had under the tree during a funeral (could not cut the grass not now people are grieving) I thought and thought 'Life to me is a process for something more I cannot understand', I'm tormented by fate I'm tormented by something I cannot control even though there are those who say we can, yet every day another funeral another time has come to an end.

Don't become older rather relish the life you've loved and lived over and over and over again
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Do the only sensible thing. Blame the government.

Hope things get better for you.
            I'm fine, contrary to Trolls prognosis I'm not after repeated bout of vicarious sympathy feeding off others misery - sure those who met me heer can vouch I'm a pretty balanced, glass half full kind of guy. Just the first time in my life I've experinced first hand things that I'd consider happen to 'old' people, all in a very short period of time.

If anything I feel a bit guilty.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Good work troll, I forgot the guy who killed himself had four, not three kids. Like it if I I PM proof of both both. Happy to if, sure it'll make you feel good about yourself. I eally mean that part btw.

Maybe I'll get my missus to call as well, talk about how she's feeling right now, instead of crying her fooking eyes out upstairs cause her best frined is going to die - you know it really is that important to me that you care.

As long as you find it cathartic
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

As long as you find it cathartic
                Actually, yeah. You'd care either way I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Before I was a contractor, I was a permie oh yes, before I was employee I was a penniless student. I sought to alleviate the dire financial situation with a summer time job cutting the grass at the local cemetery. (Huge place just outside Oban on the west coast you'll pass it before you descend into town) well I cut the grass every week with a push lawnmower, left it like Wimbledon and felt well chuffed by the end of the week overlooking the magnificent site of freshly cut grass, one strip light one strip dark, perfect.

It was a beautiful summer's morning fresh n crisp the sun's rays were only beginning to burn out the morning mist. So it was I got out my lawnmower undid the petrol cap and began to pour fuel into the tank when I recognised the name on the headstone. It was a friend I used to know at school I remember reading in the local paper three of them died when the car went skidding off the road (the Oban area is known for bad roads), three teenagers life's snuffed out for a thrill. I remember the whole day I could not help thinking that while their they laid here I was 4 years later cutting their grass... it got me thinking. Some of my best thinking was at that cemetery, just me the peace and the quiet, it was bliss. 4 years I've been granted 4 years extra so far, bonus - this is how I thought -

I worked there for three summers and unfortunately the boys names were not the last names I would recognise, I felt it necessary to make sure the grass would look as good as it could.

Three summers had passed and all I could think of now 'I've made it', 'I've survived', not even the noise of the lawnmower could drown out those thoughts. The sense of accomplishment was overpowering and enormously satisfying and that's when I thought about how it's not important the life we have remaining but the life we've had. For every day is a gift and I do pity those before me who have not had the same opportunity, while at the same time my number could be easily called, then how would I feel? I intend to make sure I never feel regret and to this day I can say the same satisfaction I got from seeing the freshly cut grass runs through me today.

The time outs I had under the tree during a funeral (could not cut the grass not now people are grieving) I thought and thought 'Life to me is a process for something more I cannot understand', I'm tormented by fate I'm tormented by something I cannot control even though there are those who say we can, yet every day another funeral another time has come to an end.

Don't become older rather relish the life you've loved and lived over and over and over again
                  I enjoyed reading that so much I had to read it three times. I can relate to this in my own way through my own circumstances and experiences and I understand exactly what you have said in this.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Sorry to here about the bad news. I'm glad you decided to post it though and understand what you're feeling.

The journey through life certainly does get tough sometimes. Two of my friends did the suicide thing and an ex girly friend of mine had a serious rough time bless her (this was about 7 years ago). Her husband turned violent on her and she confided in me one evening with a call out of the blue. That was just the beginning.

Anyway (keeping this brief) she moved in with me whilst she filed for divorce. Her parents were boths catholics, wouldn't talk to her and refused to believe her hubby was a professional wife beater.

About a month later she phoned me at work complaining of pins and needles in her hand. She went to see the doc who then referred her to the hospital for tests. Turns out this was something to do with her blood and that's when they found out she'd got leukaemia.

She went through months of radiation treatment, had injections in her spine, had a heart "stroke" in her sleep one evening and even had the added complication of a blood clot on the brain. How f***** unlucky can you be?

She almost didn't make it. She got to the last few treatment sessions and the consultants basically told her if the treatment didn’t work this time around, they wouldn’t be able to continue. I remember her sobbing her heart out saying she didn’t want to die. Everyday I did what I could to reassure her. Words like that switched on an emotion I’d never felt before. In the end she pulled though and made a recovery as best as the body could. How on earth she made it through the surgery on her head I'll never understand. She's now registered disabled and works part time in an office doing reception work.

That was a f***** big life changing experience for me and I certainly won't ever forget that (nor her) in a hurry. She was the picture of fitness and went to the gym every single day, didn't smoke nor drink much. To watch someone you really care about go from a picture of health to that of a frail person with their hair missing, a baseball cap and a walking stick is nothing short of heart breaking. Carrying them upstairs and helping them out of the bath is not something you expect to do for a woman of just 29 years old.

Life really can be seriously cruel sometimes. You can go from having everything to zero if your luck runs out. Anyone that thinks they're invincible should think again.
                    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Life is an absolute sh*t, from day to day. Always remember a quote from Dale Carnegie, live in Day by Day compartments. Make the most of each day and enjoy life. I unfortunately lost my Dad recently through Bowel Cancer, horrible time, tough at mo, but I think natures instinct is to take over, we are strong at the end of the day

Comment

Working...
                      X