• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fed up now...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I remember paying something like CHF 8-9 for a coffee in Starbucks about 5 3 years ago, and thinking I could have bought 2 pints of beer for that in parts of the UK
    Zurich is ok if you know where to go, but you have to be aware all the time. You can't go out to eat with friends and relax, otherwise you get a bit of a shock when the bill comes around.

The problem with Zurich is you are living with the super rich, who don't know or care how much they spend. You can go somewhere that you would expect adverage prices and pay CHF 250 - 300 for two people. London you would pay £60 - 70.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Grey

Wet

Got soaked walking to station. <---- Me

Coffee but no croissant today.

Comment

Bright & sunny today

Left on time

Arrived on time

Remarkable - 3 days in a row

Journey time 35 mins 15secs

No wobble

No-name loco

No free choccies outside King Cross either

No Tubes so everyone is walking / using the bus

Pedestrians in London seem to fall into two camps, those who cross when the road is clear ... and those fookwits who have to wait for the green man

Also people (usually wimmin) who think they can maintain a steady walking pace in a crowd whilst texting are sadly mistaken

and joy of joys it's Wednesday... so downhill to Friday
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Square wheel on my carriage again.
          I believe the technical term is "flat spot wheel". There was a bit of a hoo-ha a few of years ago about German rolling stock suffering from this.

Linky
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Overcast, no precipitation, no gales, no snow

Doesn't stop South Eastern advising that "Due to poor railhead conditions" delays are being experienced -wtf is that about?

Late ... as late can be.... first half of train hung around until it was 8 mins late and the buggered off to London on its own

I decided to wait for second portion which finally arrived 15 mins later

Onboard manager Dave apologised and suggested we could make up some of the time on the way in...Didn’t happen

Train Journey 33.47 mins

Arrived 15 mins late

No freebies outside Kings Cross

Hey ho

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Doesn't stop South Eastern advising that "Due to poor railhead conditions" delays are being experienced -wtf is that about?
              = "The driver has a banging hangover and couldn't get out of bed."
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Son joined in bed at sometime around 2am.
                He then starts with football practise in his sleep. So I have to put him back in his own bed - 3am
                I wake up again at 4:30am - go down warm a glass of milk and try to get back to sleep
                I wake at 8:15am - just enough time to have breakfast and walk son to school
                Drag myself back to my office and make large cup of coffee.
                I notice that its a dry day and actually quite nice.

Read that the UK's UN Human Development ranking has dropped (again) and Oz's has gone up. Canada now in 8th from 4th. Sigh.

Still on the "bench" as no work coming in a mo'. Working on marketing (ie: cold calling).
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  Read that the UK's UN Human Development ranking has dropped (again) and Oz's has gone up. Canada now in 8th from 4th. Sigh.
                  Human Development is a development paradigm that is about much more than the rise or fall of national incomes. It is about creating an environment in which people can develop their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accord with their needs and interests. People are the real wealth of nations. Development is thus about expanding the choices people have to lead lives that they value. And it is thus about much more than economic growth, which is only a means —if a very important one —of enlarging people’s choices.

Fundamental to enlarging these choices is building human capabilities —the range of things that people can do or be in life. The most basic capabilities for human development are to lead long and healthy lives, to be knowledgeable, to have access to the resources needed for a decent standard of living and to be able to participate in the life of the community. Without these, many choices are simply not available, and many opportunities in life remain inaccessible.

"The basic purpose of development is to enlarge people's choices. In principle, these choices can be infinite and can change over time. People often value achievements that do not show up at all, or not immediately, in income or growth figures: greater access to knowledge, better nutrition and health services, more secure livelihoods, security against crime and physical violence, satisfying leisure hours, political and cultural freedoms and sense of participation in community activities. The objective of development is to create an enabling environment for people to enjoy long, healthy and creative lives."

This way of looking at development, often forgotten in the immediate concern with accumulating commodities and financial wealth, is not new. Philosophers, economists and political leaders have long emphasized human wellbeing as the purpose, the end, of development. As Aristotle said in ancient Greece, “Wealth is evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake of something else.”

In seeking that something else, human development shares a common vision with human rights. The goal is human freedom. And in pursuing capabilities and realizing rights, this freedom is vital. People must be free to exercise their choices and to participate in decision-making that affects their lives. Human development and human rights are mutually reinforcing, helping to secure the well-being and dignity of all people, building self-respect and the respect of others.
                  zzzzZZZZZ

Sounds like self serving bollux to me - the kind of meaningless drivel public funded bodies produce to justify their existence

Could you encapsulate why this is important to you?

Comment

Because I can now send David at no.10 letters asking him what he's gonna do about it. Besides hiring a photographer to show his "good" side, that is.

Its all a bit of fun ain't it? though Norway has been up at the top for a number of years now, so they must be doing something good.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Warm, dry, bits of sunshine.

The red sunset last night was really good, so must remember to pop out of the front of the building about that time today.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X