• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract or Permanent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract or Permanent?

I have a dilema following redundancy in that I have been offered one permanent (not brilliantly paid but local) job in Brighton and one contract job through to the end of March 2006. The contract is in the public sector in the South, and I am a business analyst with 5 years experience.

Does anyone have any idea what daily rate this could reasonably expect to be?

Unfortunately I have to make this decision without knowing the exact rate as the permanent job offer is time-limited and I will need to set up the company and register with the other organisation's agency before negotiating the pay.

I am excited about the idea of contracting but I have reservations based on the fact that with the perm job I have a formal written offer whereas with the contract it is a phonecall offer.

Any advice gratefully received, is there something more I can ask re. the contract job - eg, get a written offer?

Take the leap and never look back ....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sounds like the agancy is BSing you. You don't need to set up a company before you can negotiate!

rate will depend on what you do!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Rate for a good BA in public sector is around 350-400. Senor BAs command 500. BAs with good marketing skills can blag more than that.
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

The agency should have informed you of the terms of the contract before putting you forward.

Take the permie job, sort out the contract, if the contract is good walk away from the permie one saying it was a mistake, not for you etc.... I am sure there will be a trial period and that swings both ways.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LG is right: you can walk away (1 weeks notice I believe is quite common during trial period)
            What was this stuff about the agency not being able to give you a rate? That's the first thing they know! Talk about money with them straight away. It's not the permie world where money seems a dirty subject sometimes and you feel you look bad if you insist on talking about it. In the contract world, money is the most important factor and nobody's got any shame in making it the first point of discussion in conversations.
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

But where's the love, that's what I say, where's the love ? It's the shame old sorry storry, of love and hope and glory ...
              Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11 August 2005, 15:11.

Comment

You can set up a company in a day (buy off the shelf).

for rates try

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/
                or
                www.jobstats.co.uk

I negotiated my rate well before setting the company up, so did most of my peers.

Call agents bluff, quote him a rate and see if he accepts and sends a signed contract out. Until its on paper it doesn't exist.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would suggest that if the agency do not know the rate, the contract does not exist (even if you've been as far as an interview).
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X