• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed - Prices down 0.9% in June

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed - Prices down 0.9% in June

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7482115.stm

why is this doomed?

falling house prices are a good thing for most people. I don't get upset if the price of mars bars falls.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
      why is this doomed?
      Because consumer confidence and levels of borrowing were buoyed by the high equity people had in their houses.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
        why is this doomed?

falling house prices are a good thing for most people. I don't get upset if the price of mars bars falls.
        I love the Idea of a fall in house prices, cheaper properties, Harder to get mortgages, higher rents on BTL's
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

feckin four houses round our way now have sold signs gone up outside in the last fortnight (one of which I had my eye on for a BTL)

WTF is all the gloom
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Exactly... if you were to have bought 1 house at the top of the market, but then 2 houses later on at the bottom of the market (for the same price as 1), you make lots of dosh.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Most economists from the big investment firms think 3 years is the bottom and most are now predicting -30%. One of the UKs biggest house builders had a write down yesterday, they are in trouble. A few idiots buying at the top of the market aren't going to change the fact they are falling and have much further to go.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                flipin four houses round our way now have sold signs gone up outside in the last fortnight (one of which I had my eye on for a BTL)

WTF is all the gloom
                Just to double check - was that houses or flats? most of the gloom in flats.

Comment

Trouble is we haven't (yet) had the scale of redundancies usual with a recession. If we can avoid this then housing may recover in 3 years - if we do see lay offs on the scale of the 80/90's then 7 years would be more likely

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Just to double check - was that houses or flats? most of the gloom in flats.
                    detached houses.. although we have the high speed rail link starting up next year so there may be investors around

Comment

Working...
                    X