• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doomed - Prices down 0.9% in June"

Collapse

• Jaws
    replied
    When walking past the local estate agent last night I couldn't help but notice their latest poster. "IT'S OFFICIAL, NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO BUY - buy now before the market shows signs of recovery" .

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Just to double check - was that houses or flats? most of the gloom in flats.
    detached houses.. although we have the high speed rail link starting up next year so there may be investors around

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Trouble is we haven't (yet) had the scale of redundancies usual with a recession. If we can avoid this then housing may recover in 3 years - if we do see lay offs on the scale of the 80/90's then 7 years would be more likely

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    flipin four houses round our way now have sold signs gone up outside in the last fortnight (one of which I had my eye on for a BTL)

WTF is all the gloom
    Just to double check - was that houses or flats? most of the gloom in flats.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Most economists from the big investment firms think 3 years is the bottom and most are now predicting -30%. One of the UKs biggest house builders had a write down yesterday, they are in trouble. A few idiots buying at the top of the market aren't going to change the fact they are falling and have much further to go.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Exactly... if you were to have bought 1 house at the top of the market, but then 2 houses later on at the bottom of the market (for the same price as 1), you make lots of dosh.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    feckin four houses round our way now have sold signs gone up outside in the last fortnight (one of which I had my eye on for a BTL)

WTF is all the gloom

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    why is this doomed?

falling house prices are a good thing for most people. I don't get upset if the price of mars bars falls.
    I love the Idea of a fall in house prices, cheaper properties, Harder to get mortgages, higher rents on BTL's

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    why is this doomed?
    Because consumer confidence and levels of borrowing were buoyed by the high equity people had in their houses.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    why is this doomed?

falling house prices are a good thing for most people. I don't get upset if the price of mars bars falls.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    started a topic Doomed - Prices down 0.9% in June

Doomed - Prices down 0.9% in June

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7482115.stm

Working...
X