• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

well done andy murray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This is no bad thing but it seems to have been accompanied with an increasing hatred of all things English.
    I see this as more both sides at fault, not just hatred of all things English, as has been demonstrated on here many times.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I was always British in my youth and fully supported the home nations teams and individuals (unless an Englishman was involved). In more recent years I have become increasingly aware of a more nationalistic attitude amongst the other home nations. This is no bad thing but it seems to have been accompanied with an increasing hatred of all things English.
      Unfortunately this is true. I think it's the flipside of any nationalistic feeling, which is a sense of superiority, that you start to look down on other nations as part of it. Scotland in particular has a large chip on its shoudler about its more powerful neighbour, so it tends to get the brunt of it.

As a kid, like you, I was always British first, and I still feel that way. If I'd lived there at the time, I'd have voted against devolution, and I am not in favour of breaking up the union. Not only is it a crazy idea in thie modern worl, I think both England and Scotland would suffer economically for it. But Scotland worse.

Still, I don't live there any more, my kids are English, if they want to go down that route, then on their own heads be it.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I am a firm believer that we are a stronger nation as a Union, but we should embrace and celebrate the individual nations too.
        Broadly speaking I agree with that. However, as I have my reputation as a cantankerous grumpy contentious malcontented dour Jock to protect, I shall exit this thread and take myself elsewhere for mischief!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          I see this as more both sides at fault, not just hatred of all things English, as has been demonstrated on here many times.
          You may have a point. As an Englishman I dont see the traffic in the other direction.
          I have traveled around Europe quite a lot and you tend to end up drinking in Irish bars especialy if you dont speak the local lingo.
          Watching the 6 nations, Euro (year) football and any world cups is quite an eye opener and was positively life threatening on one occasion.
          It is obviously harmless banter in many cases, but it is overt racism in others.
          The only time I have seen Englishmen supporting the opposition to a home nation has been when the result impacts on a later England game. Though I have seen (in fact been involved with) a few of the afore mentioned piss takes, particularly of a certain Irish bar owner in Brussels who like to wind the English up.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Broadly speaking I agree with that. However, as I have my reputation as a cantankerous grumpy contentious malcontented dour Jock to protect, I shall exit this thread and take myself elsewhere for mischief!!
            Don't go all lightweight on me now, not once you have got me all worked up again.
            We all have our favourite parts.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7485688.stm

Interesting set of predictions from punters on how Murray will do.
              The only Scot asked said he'd be gubbed 3-0
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Well done? Eh? He hasn't done anything yet.

IF he beats Rafa then he's done well.

But he won't, he's just not good enough. IF he does then I'll rate him otherwise nah.
                That boy go raaaaaaa
                Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

He should win a game or 2.

Come on Andy!..... it's all he's worth!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Oh dear! 3-6 2-6 4-6.

Comment

Is this an attempt to make tennis sound interesting? Commentary from the BBC website;

'Murray's gasping for air like a deep-sea diver whose tanks have run dry. Nadal smashes a forehand cross-court with such ferocity that people grab the person next to them in knock-kneed terror. Murray batters a two-handed backhand drive two inches wide to ship another break point and then wafts with exhaustion at another. The ball falls into the net and that, you would fear, could be goodnight Charlie.'

Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X