• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office 2007

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen anyone make a convincing claim that the GUI changes in MS Office 97 are actually worthwhile. instead we just get a load of people saying anyone who doesn't like paying hundreds for software and then spending hundreds re-learning it is some kind of Luddite (there is a whole sub-argument to be had about the use of Luddite as a term of abuse when in fact they trying to avoid starving - but that's for another time). It's a bit like the Southerners going on and on and on and on and on about how much better the South is - they're hoping if they say it enough it will become true.

I really can't see much advantage to me giving Microsoft loads of cash for something that offers no significant benefits.

Spookily I was approached by one of the permies at ClientCo today - she has a new shiny PC at home and created a Word doc at home last night using Office 2007 - she saved it to a memory stick and brought it in here to work on but couldn't open it because ClientCo uses 2003 - she was not happy (I didn't slag MS - not my place in that context)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      I haven't seen anyone make a convincing claim that the GUI changes in MS Office 97 are actually worthwhile.
      Then don't upgrade, no ones forcing you

instead we just get a load of people saying anyone who doesn't like paying hundreds for software and then spending hundreds re-learning it is some kind of Luddite
      Theres nothing to relearn, if you can use office 97, then once you've got the hang of the new menu you should be as productive in 2007 as you were in 97. Unless of course you want to be MS Office certified (is there such a thing?)
      However, the new menu is better once you get the hang of it. Its better arranged and tasks can be performed quicker with less mouse clicks.

(there is a whole sub-argument to be had about the use of Luddite as a term of abuse when in fact they trying to avoid starving - but that's for another time)
      And as for the Luddite term... given that IT is generally used to replace more labour intenisve manual methods and this is an IT contractors forum, then as an IT worker I am opposed to the Luddite Mentality. Its companies changing their IT systems to something new and hopefully more efficient which keeps me in a job and stops me starving to death.

I really can't see much advantage to me giving Microsoft loads of cash for something that offers no significant benefits.
      Then don't buy it
      I've not got Vista on my own laptop for that very reason, untill I see a reason for getting it, I won't.

Spookily I was approached by one of the permies at ClientCo today - she has a new shiny PC at home and created a Word doc at home last night using Office 2007 - she saved it to a memory stick and brought it in here to work on but couldn't open it because ClientCo uses 2003 - she was not happy (I didn't slag MS - not my place in that context)
      I remember the same backwards compatibility problems on previous versions of office. Eventually people learn...
      ... although microsoft could make it a bit more obvious for the non-techies.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

ISpookily I was approached by one of the permies at ClientCo today - she has a new shiny PC at home and created a Word doc at home last night using Office 2007 - she saved it to a memory stick and brought it in here to work on but couldn't open it because ClientCo uses 2003 - she was not happy (I didn't slag MS - not my place in that context)

I hope they don't pay you for technical advice........

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          I hope they don't pay you for technical advice........

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
          No they don't and this was outside of my remit. There's no way she could install that on her machine here anyway, but thank you for the tip.

Comment

she saved it to a memory stick and brought it in here to work on but couldn't open it because ClientCo uses 2003

Do they still use horse-drawn carts for the sales reps ?
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Hello!!!

Nothing better for progarm listings imho!!!
              Nah. OKI Microlines for me every time.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                the Epson FX-80 printer
                Hello!!!

Nothing better for progarm listings imho!!!

I haven't used it in almost fifteen years... IIRC it last did its thing hooked up to an Acorn Archimedes around 1994 - 95

It's moved with me several times since then (I move, like night, from place to place) but I'm sure that if I were to plug them in, both the FX-80 and the Beeb would work perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I haven't used it in almost fifteen years... IIRC it last did its thing hooked up to an Acorn Archimedes around 1994 - 95

It's moved with me several times since then (I move, like night, from place to place) but I'm sure that if I were to plug them in, both the FX-80 and the Beeb would work perfectly
                  I last used my ICL-branded OKI Microline ML193 (132 column, print feeder, NLQ optional) in May 1995 to do my wedding invitations.

It's NLQ mode and ability to print on 120 gsm A4 cut sheet paper (optional straight through paper pass from beneath) meant it was perfectly adequate for the job.

(Even if it did take seven hours.)
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X