• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office 2007

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we're at a crossroads in the future of software - in fact, it seems to me that the real dinosaurs are the people who still want to use the old model of paying well over the odds for software made by some mega corporation that has more interest in shareholder returns than functionality.

I may be wrong, but considering how many schools and educational institutions are going Open Source, the explosion in open source in the US and the fact we seem to get everything that happens there over here, I reckon Open Source has a major future. Microsoft won't go bust, but they aren't going to be able to charge hundreds a seat for office for much longer.
    I think you may be right, in the sense that it is more practical to "lease" or "loan" software as a hosted application online.

Eg, instead of physcially "owning" an OS, Application, etc, you "rent usage" for a time frame that is convenient to you, from the vendor.

Does anyone really need to "own" all these blimming CD's, DVD's, and source material ?

To paraphrase something Cowboy Bob asked me : "Do you really use the full potential of Office 2007 over Office 2000 ?"

I'll be honest and say no. I'm comforted knowing that should I need such features, they will be there however. Afterall, we live in uncertain times and who knows what the Client will ask for next ?

However, CB does have a point in that I (and others) have paid a lot for a lot more functionality that we currently use, and this could be defined a financially poor judgement.

I'd argue the reverse and say it demonstrates long-term thinking, because I have the ability to adapt to rapidly changing business needs, and a business than is agile and able to move with alacrity has business advantage.

But then again, if offered the choice of buying a product for £400 or renting usage for £200/yr with upgrades and constantly released feature sets built in, I know which I would choose.

MMORPG's like World of Warcraft are a perfect example of this. You "pay to play". When you tire of the game, you cancel the account. If the game industry has successfully used this concept, why are none of the App Dev companies doing the same ?

There are many "Pay to Use" concepts in real life...golf, cinema, football matches, etc, where the customer pays at the point of consumption.

You could argue that a golfer who has his own clubs continues to pay, even when not paying golf, and the clubs are sitting in the boot of his car. Therefore, why does he need to own clubs ? Surely club houses loan out such things, and he can hire then when he needs to.

But then we come round full circle to the outdated idea of "ownership" (and no doubt many deeper questions on the concepts of possession versus practicality versus consumerism versus lord knows what else)

Hmmm.

Do I really need a word processor ?

How many letters did I write last year (checks My Docs date stamps...12 letters)

On the basis of WP Software at £400, plus £50 for a printer, plus £15 for stamps, envelopes and paper, that is £465/12 = £38.75 production cost per letter.

I suppose you should add electricity in to that, as well as indirects like house rent and council tax, since the letter was composed in a dwelling. I'll add 1% of the cost of the PC, since it is used for other tasks as well, so that's £465+45 = 510 / 12 = £42.50 per letter.

Hmm..perhaps we've all been hoodwinked somewhere along the way with this PC malarkey
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Hmm..perhaps we've all been hoodwinked somewhere along the way with this PC malarkey
      Indeed... I can't think of a single thing I've had to use a word processing app for in the last twenty-five years that I can't do using WordWise on the BBC Micro that I have lurking in the corner, on top of the Epson FX-80 printer.

Well, that combo might not be capable of doing all the fancy fonts we have nowadays... but given the choice between being able to use Comic Sans for business communications and being able to knock out a letter without being constantly told I'm wrong about some aspect of spelling, formatting or grammar, I know which was better.

(OMFG!!! I didn't have a hanging participle or use a construct that confuses thick people did I??? That's all Word ever seems to tell me about )

Given that WordWise on the Beeb probably doesn't have recent printer drivers available, WordStar 3 would do all that was necessary.

Still, one has to bear in mind what Joel Spolsky pointed out a while back: although people only use about twenty percent of the features available in office software, they all use a different twenty percent.

So maybe my requirements shouldn't be the only ones considered.

I still like WordWise though

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
        Name one useful feature (i.e. that you use everyday) that Office 2007 has that 97 doesn't.
        I am still an MSOffice 97 user (when not using OpenOffice.org). It is the last MSOffice upgrade I made.

The only real differences from a user perspective between Office 97 and the Office 95 was a re-arrangement of the menus. That's when I vowed I wouldn't buy another Micro$oft upgrade.

Eleven years so far...
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You're all banging on about open office wrt word processing. The real reason it won't take off in enterprise is Excel.

Bog standard OO is fine for your every days users, but bean counters do things in spreadsheets that require Excel functions - some of which aren't available in OO. Which means your enterprise has to support two Office packages, which is just daft - so big business sticks with MS.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Bog standard OO is fine for your every days users, but bean counters do things in spreadsheets that require Excel functions - some of which aren't available in OO
            You'll have to back that statement up. Examples?
            Last edited by RichardCranium; 17 June 2008, 07:08.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              You'll have to back that statement up. Examples?
              Here's one, I understand that VBA support in OO is poor.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way of identifying whether your distro supports the VBA interoperability apart from trying some VBA code. According to Noel, "You can use the ooo-basic organizer (Tools -> Macros -> Organize Macros -> OpenOffice.org Basic) and navigate to the document. If the document contains macros and they are not commented out, chances are the feature is enabled."

If you've installed a supported distribution, or built Novell's version of OpenOffice.org on your Linux box, or installed Novell's OpenOffice.org for Windows, will any Excel macro work in Calc? "No," Noel said, "support for VBA is not complete, but we think we cover a large portion of the common usage patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                The only reason people stick with MS office is the comfort factor.

They know it and they are productive in it. Most would switch to a free solution such as Open Office but are afraid of a learning curve and loss of productivity.

Now MS have made this vile ribbon thing in Office 2007, you have a learning curve. I tried to figure out where Print Area - Set Print Area was but gave up after 10 minutes.

So now you can either buy an office product you don't know how to use or get a free one.
                Balls. OpenOffice is good as free solutions go, but it's nowhere near as polished as MSOffice. It's not compatible properly with Word documents for instance - styles just don't seem to work properly for instance.

I found 2007 weird to start with too, but now I'm getting used to it. I don't know if I prefer the interface but it's not a problem for anyone intelligent and not deliberately awkward.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  the Epson FX-80 printer.
                  Hello!!!

Nothing better for progarm listings imho!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Hello!!!

Nothing better for progarm listings imho!!!
                    Dot matrix printers used to go on and on too didn't they? And they were cheap to run. I don't recall what fate befell my last dot matrix printer, but my ink jets printers usually only last a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                      Why? Name one useful feature (i.e. that you use everyday) that Office 2007 has that 97 doesn't.
                      Might not be every day but I use this stuff at least on a weekly basis when documenting for clients

Saving to PDF

Numbered headers and sub headers out of the box (rather than having to mess around with styles for a full day like in the old versions, or trying to find a document with numbered headers in it already and modding that and then hoping that things don't break)

Auto preview when hovering over a different font/paragraph styles in the menu (sounds like a small thing but its actually very handy)

Much better arranged menus (sorry )

Handling of embedded images and other objects seems to be a lot less painful than previous versions

It opens the new docx format of word docs which office 2007 uses. Sounds stupid, but if clients send me a word doc in that format I would like to be able to just open it and edit it if necessary rather than asking for a different format.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X