• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scientists sign petition denying man-made global warming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear. And then it gets given credibility in a major newspaper and confuses people who make comments like, "I do wish the experts would make up their minds!"

The experts have made up their minds, just as the experts have made up their minds that god didn't create the universe and everything in it in six days. It's just that some people won't accept the experts verdict, in either case.
    The link refers to them as influential rather than expert. And they use the term "very likely".

Since I was a child I have seen science change alot - and I expert to see more change over the next 40 years.

Comment

Climate deniers 'are like Fritzl'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7430684.stm

Comment

Has there ever been a consensus in the scientific community on anything?

Does this mean the majority opinion shouldn't be listened too? Most scientists agree that climate change is primarily man made. Some disagree shouldn't really come as a surprise - some disagree with the theory of evolution, doesn't mean it 's no longer a valid theory ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear. And then it gets given credibility in a major newspaper and confuses people who make comments like, "I do wish the experts would make up their minds!"

The experts have made up their minds, just as the experts have made up their minds that god didn't create the universe and everything in it in six days. It's just that some people won't accept the experts verdict, in either case.
          Experts! What do they know? I base all my opinions on what politicians say - I believe the exact opposite.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            The link refers to them as influential rather than expert. And they use the term "very likely".
            Well, "influential" doesn't exclude them being experts.

The IPCC is a scientific body: the information it provides with its reports is based on scientific evidence and reflects existing viewpoints within the scientific community. The comprehensiveness of the scientific content is achieved through contributions from experts in all regions of the world and all relevant disciplines including, where appropriately documented, industry literature and traditional practices, and a two stage review process by experts and governments.
            "Very likely" may be vague enough for a lot of people to read as "probably nothing to do with us", but elsewhere it says:

The panel concluded that it was at least 90% certain that human emissions of greenhouse gases rather than natural variations are warming the planet's surface.
            I suppose that a maximum of 10% uncertainty is enough for non-believers to cling on to though (and somehow twist into "climate change is a complete myth").

Comment

A healthy dose of scepticism

I got acid rain on my baldy patch
              My mates all died from BSE
              There's bird flu in my thatch
              The ice age chilled my nuts away

The world blew up in Y2K
              AIDS done got the rest
              Resources ran out in 72
              GW doom- now thats the best

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I suppose that a maximum of 10% uncertainty is enough for non-believers to cling on to though (and somehow twist into "climate change is a complete myth").
                That's assuming you take the 90% at face value, but that's not fact either, that's also an opinion. The IPCC's predictions of global warming vary by quite a large degree, which proves that their understanding of the situation is far from complete. It may be that the majority of the computer models designed by the majority of the scientists show an upwards trend, but then all those scientists and all those models are working on common principles, and all those scientists opinions are influenced by other scientists' published opinions. It's entirely possible for science to go down a dead end.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The IPCC isn't made up of climate change experts either.
                  The IPCC only looked at selective evidence.
                  The IPCC can not repeat any of the studied experiments.
                  The IPCC can not predict global temperatures even for the short term.
                  The IPCC can not show cause and effect for recent global weather/temperature.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You'll burn in Hell

Hell
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      You'll burn in Hell

Hell
                      Bishop of Stafford, that well know climate scientist.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X