• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emmigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Currently learning Portuguese with a move to Brazil in mind. Great climate, petrol about 30p a litre, 2 bed house currently considering 15K as investment initially, and the most gorgeous women in the world.

You have seen City of God - haven't you?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Excellent, if somewhat disturbing film

Comment

I got mugged in Rio ten years ago, and certainly would not live there, but who feels safe in London nowadays??!! The north-east coast, Natal, is the safest city in Brazil, and the largest airport in South America opens in 2010 with flights 6-7 hours to the UK.

Comment

I got mugged in Rio ten years ago, and certainly would not live there, but who feels safe in London nowadays??!! The north-east coast, Natal, is the safest city in Brazil, and the largest airport in South America opens in 2010 with flights 6-7 hours to the UK.
          I feel a lot more safe in London than I would in Rio or Brazillia. Never heard of Natal, but each to their own I guess...

Are you planning on a plan B or is the IT work available there?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I feel a lot more safe in London than I would in Rio or Brazillia. Never heard of Natal, but each to their own I guess...

Are you planning on a plan B or is the IT work available there?

I've met a lovely Brazilian girl and I am considering a Plan B. The Brazilian government is investing multi-billions in the North-East coast as a major tourist area, and of course Brazil is a major oil producer and amongst the 'BRIC' countries, whose wealth will overtake the UK within a few decades.

Comment

I've met a lovely Brazilian girl and I am considering a Plan B. The Brazilian government is investing multi-billions in the North-East coast as a major tourist area, and of course Brazil is a major oil producer and amongst the 'BRIC' countries, whose wealth will overtake the UK within a few decades.
              Well, so long as your £15k buys you a 2 bed house in a gated community you'll be fine for some of the time

Good luck anyway!

Comment

I've been spending most of the year in Latin America for the past 5 years.

It is very uncontrolled, bureacratic, slow and somewhat painful to get anything done.

Its not 'cheap' - people are cheap - things are expensive.

Non-Latam's never factor in security as a significant cost of a house or living.

Suggest you go for 6 months - 1 year to feel the reality.

Brazil also has 46 business taxes - nightmare.

Weather is better in the south - Sao Paolo sucks - cloudy, humid and very hot - packed with people and traffic makes london seem like a herbacious border.

but true, Latin America does have the most gorgeous women in the world and they're happy about it too.

And there's nobody there to bore you with housing market predictions/decorations/locations/BTL/interest rates - its not on their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  NZ (Christchurch)
                  Me too... somewhere overlooking the river Avon...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    but have to say Christchurch is one of the most boring places I've ever been to.
                    Sure is. I've been in Christchurch for nine months, I'm going in three and I won't be too sad to leave. If I skied/mountain biked/canoed as much as I talk about it then the surrounding country would more than compensate for the dull city, but I'm all talk really.

NZ is a great place though and I would be staying here, probably in Wellington, if I had fewer or weaker ties to England. I'm thinking of trying somewhere Nordic after a stint in the UK, anyone got any thoughts on Denmark or Finland?

Comment

Dubai - wild west mentality and no taxes and good flight connections to most of the world.
                      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                      X