• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Emmigration

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Emmigration"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I read somewhere that they're so thin because they've got worms...
    I read because of too many snowballs they don't get enough protein

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Perpetual student life appeals eh?
    Oh yes - and I stopped being a student, gulp, when Edge of Darkness was on the TV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090424/

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Another vote for New Zealand (Dunedin)

And for culture, once a year, the Big Day Out in Auckland
    Perpetual student life appeals eh?

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Another vote for New Zealand (Dunedin)

And for culture, once a year, the Big Day Out in Auckland

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I was there on holiday and I got sick of it despite no hurry. A ten minute jopurney took an hour. We stayed in the smallest emirate (Ajman?) and there it was fine - but when we went to that 7* hotel (in the shape of a sail - burj-al-arab?) for afternoon tea it took ages. And the service was rubbish too.
    Thank for looking out for me guys - but I have already been there several times - and I seriously think it is the best place for me and my family soon.

But thanks for being so caring

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I plan on home office - so wherever I have to go it will not be for work so I am not in a hurry - so I am not bothered about being a bit delayed.
    Could become slightly uncomfortable in a caterham in the summer though as it has no aircon.
    I was there on holiday and I got sick of it despite no hurry. A ten minute jopurney took an hour. We stayed in the smallest emirate (Ajman?) and there it was fine - but when we went to that 7* hotel (in the shape of a sail - burj-al-arab?) for afternoon tea it took ages. And the service was rubbish too.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Went there two years ago. Traffic jams everywhere at any time of day.
    I plan on home office - so wherever I have to go it will not be for work so I am not in a hurry - so I am not bothered about being a bit delayed.
    Could become slightly uncomfortable in a caterham in the summer though as it has no aircon.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    but who feels safe in London nowadays??!!
    Me and everyone I know who lives here?!?!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Dubai - wild west mentality and no taxes and good flight connections to most of the world.
    Went there two years ago. Traffic jams everywhere at any time of day.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaded View Post
    I would choose Norway or Denmark!
    Are you a communist?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Dubai - wild west mentality and no taxes and good flight connections to most of the world.

Leave a comment:

• silves89
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    but have to say Christchurch is one of the most boring places I've ever been to.
    Sure is. I've been in Christchurch for nine months, I'm going in three and I won't be too sad to leave. If I skied/mountain biked/canoed as much as I talk about it then the surrounding country would more than compensate for the dull city, but I'm all talk really.

NZ is a great place though and I would be staying here, probably in Wellington, if I had fewer or weaker ties to England. I'm thinking of trying somewhere Nordic after a stint in the UK, anyone got any thoughts on Denmark or Finland?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    NZ (Christchurch)
    Me too... somewhere overlooking the river Avon...

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    I've met a lovely Brazilian girl and I am considering a Plan B. The Brazilian government is investing multi-billions in the North-East coast as a major tourist area, and of course Brazil is a major oil producer and amongst the 'BRIC' countries, whose wealth will overtake the UK within a few decades.
    I've been spending most of the year in Latin America for the past 5 years.

It is very uncontrolled, bureacratic, slow and somewhat painful to get anything done.

Its not 'cheap' - people are cheap - things are expensive.

Non-Latam's never factor in security as a significant cost of a house or living.

Suggest you go for 6 months - 1 year to feel the reality.

Brazil also has 46 business taxes - nightmare.

Weather is better in the south - Sao Paolo sucks - cloudy, humid and very hot - packed with people and traffic makes london seem like a herbacious border.

but true, Latin America does have the most gorgeous women in the world and they're happy about it too.

And there's nobody there to bore you with housing market predictions/decorations/locations/BTL/interest rates - its not on their agenda.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I've met a lovely Brazilian girl and I am considering a Plan B. The Brazilian government is investing multi-billions in the North-East coast as a major tourist area, and of course Brazil is a major oil producer and amongst the 'BRIC' countries, whose wealth will overtake the UK within a few decades.
    Well, so long as your £15k buys you a 2 bed house in a gated community you'll be fine for some of the time

Good luck anyway!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X