• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye New Lie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    EU workers are allowed to work here, that would be no different under the Tories, what do you expect them to do?

I remember a large influx of asylum seekers in the 90s before labour, the Tories had no grip on immigration and AFAIR openly welcomed it infact enlargement of the EU (and the internal market) to the former Communist bloc was one of the great missions of John Major's Conservative government.

Knife crime is worse, and sentencing is less tough, but crime overall is no worse. The Tories struggled on Crime, it rised on their watch.

Don't be daft, they were stealth taxes, they weren't well publicised. However, the fuel price escalator was dressed up as an environmental issue. It would be political suicide to 'publicise' stealth taxing.

The current Goverment has taken stealth taxes to a whole new level but the idea is a Conservative one (like many which they have stolen) which I hope they drop if elected.

I'm afraid you won't get what you are looking for because it doesn't exist. You either get a government who taxes income or puts the burden on goods and services you will never get one who is light on both.

Errrr..... so how come Germany and France managed to stop EU workers from going to them for SEVEN years. The key is in the words NEW ENTRANTS!! The Tories wanted the same policy introduced and publicly stated that. We would not have had all these Poles, Rumanians etc. under the Tories.

Your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny, Bagpuss. You seem to have fallen for all the negative propaganda Bagpuss. Was your father a miner by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      Errrr..... so how come Germany and France managed to stop EU workers from going to them for SEVEN years. The key is in the words NEW ENTRANTS!! The Tories wanted the same policy introduced and publicly stated that. We would not have had all these Poles, Rumanians etc. under the Tories.

Your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny, Bagpuss. You seem to have fallen for all the negative propaganda Bagpuss. Was your father a miner by any chance?

No my father was not a Miner, nor was he indocrinated by political rhetoric like your good self, but having lived and worked and been stealth taxed under both Governments I don't see the large difference in policy. E.g. John Major wanted the expansion of the EU, so I fail to see how things would have been different
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../02/do0204.xml

Rather than assume the Tories are opposed to all Government policy (which they are not) this isn't football fanatism, take a realist view and appreciate it's nuances that make the difference. Labour got in because they ceased the middle ground, the Tories could go to the right but they haven't

Why not post some Conservative policy on tax cutting rather than focus on Labout policy? we know the good the bad and ugly on that. Let's see the gulf in policy?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

No my father was not a Miner, nor was he indocrinated by political rhetoric like your good self, but having lived and worked and been stealth taxed under both Governments I don't see the large difference in policy. E.g. John Major wanted the expansion of the EU, so I fail to see how things would have been different
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../02/do0204.xml

Rather than assume the Tories are opposed to all Government policy (which they are not) this isn't football fanatism, take a realist view and appreciate it's nuances that make the difference. Labour got in because they ceased the middle ground, the Tories could go to the right but they haven't

Why not post some Conservative policy on tax cutting rather than focus on Labout policy? we know the good the bad and ugly on that. Let's see the gulf in policy?
        I'm afraid I agree with Baggy. The Tories have been short on clear policy.
        I'm hoping they have some secret radical plans in the bag to turn back the increasingly large state.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

seized
          Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
          "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
          Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I'm afraid I agree with Baggy. The Tories have been short on clear policy.
            I'm hoping they have some secret radical plans in the bag to turn back the increasingly large state.

As soon as the Tories announced their inheritance tax policy, New Lie nicked it and put it in their budget. Is it any wonder that Tory policies are now closely guarded. The latest pre-Queens speech had also nicked a dozen Tory policies. Let's get realistic here.

New Lie are stale, brain-dead and are looking for new ideas. I am happy for the Tories to stay quiet until the next election.

...and as I have already stated, the Tories had a clearly different policy on new entrants to the EU that would have saved us at least 2 million in immigrants. Clear blue water indeed!!

Comment

...and as I have already stated, the Tories had a clearly different policy on new entrants to the EU that would have saved us at least 2 million in immigrants. Clear blue water indeed!!
              Not really, it would have just deferred the problem for 7 years - unless you believe that those economies where these immigrants come from would have been turned around to such an extent in that time that they would be less inclined to leave. .
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Not really, it would have just deferred the problem for 7 years - unless you believe that those economies where these immigrants come from would have been turned around to such an extent in that time that they would be less inclined to leave. .
                Aren't they going back now precisely because their economies are booming while ours is going down the pan? Personally I'm glad we've been open - hopefully British nationals will be the "preferred supplier" for the inevitable build-up of their IT infrastructure.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

After 7 years then those immigrants would have been spread around other EU countries as well as the UK, and also we would have had time to make preparations... at least to build a few houses !!! By opening our borders earlier we have caused ourselves immense damage, as only us and Ireland adopted this stupid policy. :rolleyes

Comment

After 7 years then those immigrants would have been spread around other EU countries as well as the UK, and also we would have had time to make preparations... at least to build a few houses !!! By opening our borders earlier we have caused ourselves immense damage, as only us and Ireland adopted this stupid policy. :rolleyes
                    Both have had an incredible boom in house prices. Coincidence or does a rising population increase house prices?

You want cheap housing, get rid of all immigrants, EU or otherwise.

You want to become rich through BTL, remove all immigration restriction and invite the world over to stay.

HTH

Comment

The lack of Tory policies is only what used to be said by the Tories about Labour when they were in opposition - If you show your hand then the party in power will cherry pick your best policies. Also since the economy looks like it is on the slide, you cannot start to announce things like taxation and spending plans when you have no idea what sort of mess you are likely to be faced with when you eventually get into power
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X