• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B, 2008 off to a V. good start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    you're a nutter !

good luck sounds more exciting than C#
    Staring blankly at the drizzle through my kitchen window on a Sunday afternoon in November is more exciting than C#.

Comment

Let's cut to the chase. As a plan B it seems a non-starter. Nice hobby maybe, but as a money generator

Pictures and films of tornadoes are 2 a penny. There's even that film, Twister. It's all been done. Can't see a market in this, apart from maybe offering tornado tours to fat yanks.

Comment

Never know he might hit the mother lode, wxman just paint your company name on the side of a cow and push it into the eye of the storm.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I want to start by saying how sad I am to hear of the tremendous loss of life during today’s storms. (19 and counting)

I also want to say that I will NEVER ever chase down in South East Oklahoma again – it is impossible!

Started the Day from OKC where our initial target was Fort Smith, Arkansas. Observed three high based Cells to the North and West of Fort Smith before deciding to target new cell development that has formed on advancing dryline in Eastern Oklahoma – Sadly our intercept route took us through the dreaded Quachtia Forest and mountains of SE OK. Was able to position on the middle supercell perfectly – trouble is a damm mountain was in the was of the notch – not to worry decided to get the “tail end” supercell – near to Broken bow. 15mph curvy roads and racing forward motion of the supercell meant that we had to core punch North of Broken Bow in order to get a view of the meso – too late! Rain curtains moving North West across the road told us that the meso was danger close and a wind shift to the South West confirmed that the meso had crossed the road just to our south – after proceeding with caution the top half of a tornado was observed briefly (5 seconds) as it came out of the rain not 300 meters to our South on the left of the road. This was tornado confirmed as we shortly crossed a damage track (downed power poles / broken trees on Highway 259, 4 miles north of Broken bow.

Due to the roads / trees / mountains this was a frustrating chase which I wont bother with again in the future.

I got 0 pictures and 0 video of the tornado but it was observed by many who were with me.
          www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

May 14th Big Spring Texas Tornadic Supercell.

Started the day In Wichita Falls, TX after a somewhat disappointing chase day the day before. Our Target was Central Texas where a surface low was pforecast to pull Gulf moisture up towards the Higher terrain of New Mexico and into an eastward moving dryline. Lunch was stopped short at Abilene as cells started to fire along the dryline to our west. We targeted a cell that was North West of Big Spring near to Ackerly. The cell was showing good rotation and a brief landspout tornado was observed for a good two minutes under the updraft (note that dust plume did not reach up to the cloud base)

In order to keep up with the updraft we dropped back down to the interstate where a smaller cell to the south merged with our cell. We then observed a 5 minute elephant trunk tornado near Iatan, TX, just North of Interstate 20. This followed by a brief pencil tornado 5 minutes later. Time for the elephant trunk tornado was 4:56-5:01.

We almost got cut off by the cell but were able to get ahead of it again by driving through the core East down I20. At Abilene we took the option to re Gas before dropping South East down highway 36 – unfortunately we were cut off by hail and once the hail size reached 3 inch (teacup) we broke off the chase – shame really as we were just two miles from our East option and our only option to keep ahead of the storm.

Great calibration steak dinner in Abilene afterwards

Picture of Tornado #2, North of the Interstate
            http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/stu/...ng_Tornado.jpg
            www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

WXMan, your pictures are great!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                WXMan, your pictures are great!
                WHS
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
                  Picture of Tornado #2, North of the Interstate
                  http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/stu/...ng_Tornado.jpg
                  Holy Tulipe

Fantastic photo.

Comment

Keep it up Wx. I expect to see you with your own TV show on extreme weather in the near future. Nothing less will suffice.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                      Keep it up Wx. I expect to see you with your own TV show on extreme weather in the near future. Nothing less will suffice.
                      Perhaps he should team up with NickyG as he seems to have a handle on when, where and why these things kick off

Comment

Working...
                      X