• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduced Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would involve some blurring of cause and effect. A downturn is when prices come down. That's how you know it's one.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If there is to be a downturn is it not reasonable for clients (not agencies of course) to expect reductions in rates? after all in the good times you grubby lot are straight on the upward spiral bandwagon.
      Of course there should be a reduction in day rates. But after all the good times us contractors are tired out, so we would imagine clients would only ask us to work for only a couple of hours for each of these days, with free lobster/caviar luncheon provided of course, so we can put our weary feet up.

Comment

As always we expect professionalism.

When we negotiate a new contract then we get what the market pays. Mid contract reductions then no. Wait for a bit though and many of the agencies & clients will try it on regardless of what is signed.

Go on Dodgy tell me I'm wrong.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If there is to be a downturn is it not reasonable for clients (not agencies of course) to expect reductions in rates? after all in the good times you grubby lot are straight on the upward spiral bandwagon.
          I get some given rate based on the business benefit that my knowledge and skills provide to my client (or clients). If the wider economic situation means that my client (or clients) can't derive the same business benefit from utilising said knowledge and skills, I'll have to either find a client (or clients) who can derive sufficient business benefit to make it worth their while paying me what I'd like, or I'll have to accept that what I have to offer isn't worth as much as it used to be. That's just the nature of the market.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Pay bananas, still get monkeys.
          apes

Comment

Dodgy: No need to get personal!

Comment

Telephone call 1
              Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of contractors have either gone for permanent jobs or are refusing to leave steady contracts, as a result we'll be unable to secure anybody for that role under £400 per day
              Client: Wow are things that bad? well we really do need some one in or we're fecked. Just make sure they're good

Telephone call 2
              Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of companies are either relying purely on permament staff they already have or are shelving IT projects, however essential, till things pick up. As things are, this client is refusing to go above £200 per day, I'm really sorry, I've tried my hardest but i can't do anything to budge them.
              Contractor: feck
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Telephone call 1
                Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of contractors have either gone for permanent jobs or are refusing to leave steady contracts, as a result we'll be unable to secure anybody for that role under £400 per day
                Client: Wow are things that bad? well we really do need some one in or we're fliped. Just make sure they're good

Telephone call 2
                Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of companies are either relying purely on permament staff they already have or are shelving IT projects, however essential, till things pick up. As things are, this client is refusing to go above £200 per day, I'm really sorry, I've tried my hardest but i can't do anything to budge them.
                Contractor: flip
                cynic alert

But true nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  cynic alert

But true nonetheless!
                  Got my first credit crunch related email from an agent today:

There are a number of personal reasons why you may want to apply for this role; however you should also consider these reasons.

v The Online Gaming Market is growing fast and is already a multi-billion pound industry

v Gibraltar charges lower taxes so you salary will go further

v Property Prices in Costa del sol are falling making commuting from Spain attractive

v Experience Counts, you even have fun whilst you are working out there.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Chap I sit next to at ClientCo has some senior contacts. Clientco considered dropping rates by 10% - but are too far below market at the moment.

Still strong IB demand...

Comment

On the subject of renewal - can I just canvass the board opinion - I'm having the extend or not conversation soon, but intend to look for another client after this one, would you renew for 3 months, or 6?

i.e. would it be better to be looking for another gig in August, or November?

Instinct says 3 months. Also have to think of a credible reason to insist upon 3 months. Client likely to offer 6.

Comment

Working...
                      X