• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most expensive software?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most expensive software?

What is the most expensive software (single user licence) that you have had to order (in normal circumstances, not looking at the OS for cray super computers or the interface for a automated warehouse system. Has to run on a standard PC).

Just had a quote here for some software.

£40,000 + VAT for single user licence (have to use a dongle). *gulp*

Thankfully ClientCo is paying and not me. I just get to train people to use it.

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    What is the most expensive software (single user licence) that you have had to order (in normal circumstances, not looking at the OS for cray super computers or the interface for a automated warehouse system. Has to run on a standard PC).

Thankfully ClientCo is paying and not me. I just get to train people to use it.
    for that I would expect it to make me a pot noodle and wink me off...

Comment

Ah! That must be AtW's Lottery Number Prediction plug-in for Majestik.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Vista is pretty dear.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          for that I would expect it to make me a pot noodle and wink me off...
          No no, I would expect a Japanese girl duo to run updates once a week, then give me a bath with them in a hot-tub, massage and the full works aftwards.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And I suppose bespoke software doesn't count either.

£40k would buy 3 months of my developer time, after which you'd get something that said "hello world" in a wide variety of languages, with comprehensive online help.

Comment

I am interested in your "hello world" product line and would be interested in hearing more about your offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
                I am interested in your "hello world" product line and would be interested in hearing more about your offerings.
                Bob Shawadiwadi will do the same thing forra fiva.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What is the most expensive software (single user licence) that you have had to order (in normal circumstances, not looking at the OS for cray super computers ....
                  Actually you can run your Cray on linux

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Actually you can run your Cray on linux
                    No you can't.

You can simulate it, poorly.

Cray machines were the pinnacle of a highly-optimised hardware solution to intensive computing problems.

You can simulate World War II on Linux but it's not exactly the same as reality.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X