• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most expensive software?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I have about 25 copies of various levels of zOS, zVM, zVSE and zLinux sitting at home with a street value of around a million dollars in the right hands. These are meant for developers but because they come fully loaded (DB2, CICS, IMS, WAS, MQ, etc) then dodgy commercial companies would love to have them.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Route planning software. Basically you give it customers, warehouse locations and delivery fleet and it calculates the most efficent routes to use.

But on a massive scale.
    Buy a TomTom.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Route planning software. Basically you give it customers, warehouse locations and delivery fleet and it calculates the most efficent routes to use.

But on a massive scale.
    I remember that stuff from Operational Research.

Vaguely.

Transportation algorithm and stuff.

Travelling salesman problem.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    What is the most expensive bit of software you have bought for yourself? I'm going to have to buy a copy of Jaws For Windows for the little guy and it costs about £800. It is a screen reader - up to now he has had the demo version only which is free but is limited to 40 mins before the PC needs to be rebooted to start the clock again. Everything needed IT wise for blind people is bleedin expensive.
    Vutrax.

£4k & counting.

Leave a comment:

• minsky1
    replied
    What is the most expensive software (single user licence) that you have had to order (in normal circumstances, not looking at the OS for cray super computers or the interface for a automated warehouse system. Has to run on a standard PC).

Just had a quote here for some software.

£40,000 + VAT for single user licence (have to use a dongle). *gulp*

Thankfully ClientCo is paying and not me. I just get to train people to use it.
    Catia? with kinematics licence and FiberSIM?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    WTF does it do?

But on a massive scale.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    WTF does it do?
    It is just a link to Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' video.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    What is the most expensive software (single user licence) that you have had to order (in normal circumstances, not looking at the OS for cray super computers or the interface for a automated warehouse system. Has to run on a standard PC).

WTF does it do?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    for that I would expect it to make me a pot noodle and wink me off...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    What is the most expensive bit of software you have bought for yourself? I'm going to have to buy a copy of Jaws For Windows for the little guy and it costs about £800. It is a screen reader - up to now he has had the demo version only which is free but is limited to 40 mins before the PC needs to be rebooted to start the clock again. Everything needed IT wise for blind people is bleedin expensive.
    I have Tradestation 2000i ProSuite, £1800 new. Data is extra and support not included.

As well as pro trading software there are professional music mixers which bobble about the £1-2k mark.

Had an MSDN Universal subscription once (about £1800 as well), but I got that for free through a mate who works for Microsoft.
    Last edited by meridian; 17 April 2008, 08:37.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    So would I...
    But you are a lizard...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    HRH would be happy for a girl to even speak to him...
    So would I...

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    No no, I would expect a Japanese girl duo to run updates once a week, then give me a bath with them in a hot-tub, massage and the full works aftwards.
    HRH would be happy for a girl to even speak to him...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

I sell/install/support/etc. a product which runs under SCO/Linux which runs on either laptops or x86 servers which ranges in price from around $12,000 to well over $100,000 and is basically a single user system and also requires a dongle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X