• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any room on the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck fellah

Client co here not renewing many as going through massive reorg. I'm expecting to bench in 4 weeks. Started looking yesterday

Comment

Unlucky Chef. The only time I can remember it happening to me they honoured and paid up straight away on a 4 week notice period. I was living in Bondi a the time ( and it was summer ) which was quite handy !

The '.Net' market still seems pretty good but I think the long anticipated hard times are now looming, bad news is starting to filter thru into the real economy and I don't see why IT budgets should escape, they usually suffer first !

No matter how bad it gets there is always some work out there, there is too much existng IT around. I do fear for rates though, in my game they fell quick in the last slump.

Comment

Actually seems like a lot of people are heading for the bench. Suppose I should start to count my lucky stars that I just got a 6 monther.

Sorry to hear anyones heading for the bench.

Comment

Don't remember you back then, different id?
          Yes.
          DA would confirm it as we had a round of golf out Richmond way. I won.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Actually seems like a lot of people are heading for the bench. Suppose I should start to count my lucky stars that I just got a 6 monther.

Sorry to hear anyones heading for the bench.
            Just focus on those "dates"

That's much more challenging.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Not looking good is it.

Never been between contracts for more than a few weeks before, apart from the time I had a year off.

If we're on the bench for a few months does it affect the client's impression of us? i.e. they must be crap if they've been looking for work for so long.

working for Accenture/EDS on a vague and secretive project

Comment

I'll be there in just over a week. The job market for me looks a bit more optimistic this week than it did last week, but what you never know is whether there's a couple of candidates for each job, or a thousand candidates for each job.

I was going to finish the gig, take a week off, then start to worry about it, but maybe I should get on with it now.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Not looking good is it.

Never been between contracts for more than a few weeks before, apart from the time I had a year off.

If we're on the bench for a few months does it affect the client's impression of us? i.e. they must be crap if they've been looking for work for so long.
                  no not at all; normally in times like these, so many people are on the bench it makes no sense to filter using bench time.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'll put the kettle on! Seats are already warmed up for you all.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

you are all getting me worried now

very best of luck to anyone looking for a job

Comment

Working...
                      X