• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the new financial year mean an upturn in the contracting market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Don't close that option Miffy. It looks like the finance sector is going to be very tough but elsewhere will be OK.
    Fingers crossed for me then

I reckon I'm safe enough at CurrentClientCorp until the summer (contract's up at the start of July and I need a few weeks off), and I'm sure they'll want to extend... but the forthcoming takeover might have altered everything by then

Supposedly TakingOverCorp is also keen on the online presence being extended, which would keep me safe here for some time to come, but otherwise I'll have to relearn how to write a CV - sorry, company brochure (haven't needed one for over three years) and get to work on a marketing plan, or hope that the right people in management decide to move on and offer me something at their new place(s).

Could try to get back in at the Beeb I suppose... or maybe Google's hiring

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
      You're not alone.
      I'm finding more and more contractors have that "look of uncertainty" about them. In the last few months, none have rolled on to something else immediately.
      Not good - I expect this to be an extinction winter for many.
      The trouble is - do you keep solo or go permie?

I'm detecting some kind of an event horizon here

It seems many contractors are considering the permie option because it's seeming like the 'balloon is about to go up' in the economy. Yet on this board there are many (potential) contractor newbies posting for advice about how to start

Seems a bit like a 'matter - anti-matter' collision, which means only one thing - one hell of a financial implosion and a lot of fall out. Run for cover boys

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        I'm detecting some kind of an event horizon here

It seems many contractors are considering the permie option because it's seeming like the 'balloon is about to go up' in the economy. Yet on this board there are many (potential) contractor newbies posting for advice about how to start

Seems a bit like a 'matter - anti-matter' collision, which means only one thing - one hell of a financial implosion and a lot of fall out. Run for cover boys
        Yep, I agree. There's been 7 people here who have accepted Terms. 4 of them left wanting to go contracting but none have got a position. One of them got an interview for another permie post though.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
          I don't wanna have to do a Wilmslow, but I quite fancy changing my car and that will seriously erode my bench fund.

My old permie boss phoned me a few weeks ago and said they're stacked out with work. Theres a job opening there for me still.
          Doing a Wilmslow – I love it!

For me, getting a new car was part of going perm due to the 120 mile round trip!

If you can get a good permie salary, why not go for it, salt some away and go back to contracting when things are looking sunnier?

I have been keeping my ear to the ground for any local contracts – 2 false starts, nothing decent – even had two offers that pay less than my new permie role.

Better go permie on lower money than currently on, rather than sitting at home looking and not getting anything. Needs must I fear.

Comment

Originally posted by newbee View Post
            Where I am based, all contractors are pushed to go permie or given a 1 month extension

Top it off with freeze on new contractors into the business
            Same here at this IB. Still, most good contractors are choosing to leave and only the not-so-good ones are taking the permie jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Doing a Wilmslow – I love it!

For me, getting a new car was part of going perm due to the 120 mile round trip!

If you can get a good permie salary, why not go for it, salt some away and go back to contracting when things are looking sunnier?

I have been keeping my ear to the ground for any local contracts – 2 false starts, nothing decent – even had two offers that pay less than my new permie role.

Better go permie on lower money than currently on, rather than sitting at home looking and not getting anything. Needs must I fear.
              I just get bored with cars quickly, I'm terrible. I'm certainly getting shut of this petrol guzzling soft top though.

I think you're right on going permie than sitting at home with nothing. I'm considering the option of going back to my old permie place. I'll still continue to look around though and then just bail the minute I find something tasty!
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X