• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 Month to become c# contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too_many, I was talking about getting heavily involved in all areas writing c# for a month, which should give a good grounding in the language (I already have limited experience). I wasn't advocating the pure bulltulip approach, however if you get the job done to client expectations then no one loses out.

If you blag and don't deliver you will be found out. End of.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      If you blag and don't deliver you will be found out. End of.
      Come across so many contractors and projects where that is not the case, that it leads me to believe the opposite actually: if you're more than able it is often best to actually tone down your abilites to fit in with the 'company culture'.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Come across so many contractors and projects where that is not the case, that it leads me to believe the opposite actually: if you're more than able it is often best to actually tone down your abilites to fit in with the 'company culture'.
        Agree. Before I contracted, I wasn't sure about my ability to do it. Then I worked with someone who hadn't been benched for 13 years, but was hopeless. Working with him persuaded me that if he could get away with it, I certainly could.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

FAQ,

have we worked together ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            I been blagging for years, sometimes I'm not sure when I am in blagging mode and when not

those (contractors) who turn their noses up to blagging are fibbers

have fun with your blags and remember never blag more than you can blag

Milan.
            What's the difference between blagging and lying or for that matter fraud? I guess it sounds less wrong?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              Went perm at a VB6 shop a while back with all the promises of c# training - as you'd expect it was pure fiction.
              Ah.
              This happens a lot then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                What's the difference between blagging and lying or for that matter fraud? I guess it sounds less wrong?
                Oh dear, Baggy's moral compass is in a tailspin again!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Blagging - you can do it with a bit of effort i.e. find the right website, open a textbook
                  Lying - it can never happen i.e. go permie being told you are going to get training and you get f*** all
                  Fraud - criminal offence that can put you in jail if you get caught
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Blagging is not telling direct untruths - it's being economical with the truth. Not the "whole truth".

Blagging arises when the client will benefit from taking you on, over anyone else, but they're not capable of asking the right questions, or correctly speccing the job. Clients often ask for really stupid things that have no bearing on your ability to do the job. Or something, that if you really needed to know for the job, you'd look up on google in 30 seconds flat. Does it really matter if I've only experience in version 5.2.3.1a rather than 5.2.3.1b? Usually not.

The gig I'm up for tomorrow I am quite capable of doing. However, I don't quite tick all the boxes they say they require. They also want 4 days a week, but I'm only available 3 days. The fact is, I can do the work they require in 2 days a week.

Hence, I blag.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I see, putting false information on your CV re experience is not fraud or lying, but blagging. Where does blagging end and dishonesty begin?

Should you blag the background check?
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X