• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 Month to become c# contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A CV is a marketing brochure. Marketing departments always promise the Earth and then worry about delivering it afterwards. We are no different in that respect.

The references thing always used to worry me, but usually the person contacted can't be arsed to say bad things about you, especially if you left on good terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      A CV is a marketing brochure. Marketing departments always promise the Earth and then worry about delivering it afterwards. We are no different in that respect.

The references thing always used to worry me, but usually the person contacted can't be arsed to say bad things about you, especially if you left on good terms.
      Buy an old pay as you go mobile and give your own refferences. I do a great line in welsh/pakistani accents.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

They might spot check a permie CV, but normally for a contractor its done on the interview, if you can answer the questions you're in.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          They might spot check a permie CV, but normally for a contractor its done on the interview, if you can answer the questions you're in.
          Anyone know which websites the interviewers tend to copy the technical questions from these days?

If I don't know the answer to one particular question I suppose it's bad form to try to get the interviewer to share their knowledge then, the smart arses!?

My favourite was when the supposedly technical guy in the interview started asking me questions that were windows app based. Even though the position was for a web developer! Fortunately I'd done some windows stuff in the past so still managed to answer the muppet.

So sometimes the interviewers know less than you'd expect, hence bluffing may not be a bad option rather than saying you don't know.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

when in doubt, answer the question with a question about the question

then you will immiediately findout what the interviewer knows and how much pressure to give the blag turbo charger

too many top tips in one thread

Milan.

Comment

You mean you don't just give the names of your mates as references, passing them off as former employers?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                You mean you don't just give the names of your mates as references, passing them off as former employers?
                I have been doing this wrong, have'nt I
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

it is relevant because my small cap friend the big fives train you to be a consultant and to think like a consultant and to have the consultant mentality to carry off any situation you are thrown into from project to project

and if you cannot carry it off, and you do not display the consultant mentality, then, well, being a big five consultant is not for you and you will be on your bike and looking for work in an end client IT department somewhere

there is no difference to what is being discussed here apart from posher wording

all the best in your small cap IT

Milan.
                  I am currently working for the UK's biggest digital broadcaster. Before this I was working for one of the biggest medical publishers in the world. These are not small caps.

Perhaps they wised up to 'old school' consultancies and decided they needed people who actually knew what they were doing and not trying to blag it off......

The tone of this thread reeks of unprofessionalism. Are any of you ashamed at the low level of skills you think you can get away with?

R

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    I have been doing this wrong, have'nt I
                    Well the important thing is to learn from the wisdom on here.
                    And remember, we are not at home to Mr C0ck-up!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

too many details,

' Are any of you ashamed at the low level of skills you think you can get away with?',

everything is relative, the key to it all is managing expectations, by the way, that's another subject the big five teach their consultants

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X