• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 Month to become c# contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should we have to continually prove our experience with inane technical tests?

Shouldn't there be a database verified by our previous clients that allows potential clients to see exactly what we've been doing?

Sort of a modern day version of the reference for technically oriented roles.

Not saying it should replace the interview, just supplement it, so the interviewer can get on with asking relevant questions about how my experience can help them achieve what they're recruiting me for.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      Why should we have to continually prove our experience with inane technical tests?

Shouldn't there be a database verified by our previous clients that allows potential clients to see exactly what we've been doing?

Sort of a modern day version of the reference for technically oriented roles.

Not saying it should replace the interview, just supplement it, so the interviewer can get on with asking relevant questions about how my experience can help them achieve what they're recruiting me for.
      Do you think Stonemasons of the middle ages used to complain when they had to prove their ability as they moved from site to site?

Nope, they merely proved their ability then completed the job!

Comment

I can see such a system falling foul of corruption and misuse. Why do you find the concept of a technical test so objectionable?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Blagging - you can do it with a bit of effort i.e. find the right website, open a textbook
          Lying - it can never happen i.e. go permie being told you are going to get training and you get f*** all
          Fraud - criminal offence that can put you in jail if you get caught
          Hear hear. Employers never seem overly concerned about not delivering on promises are they?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            I can see such a system falling foul of corruption and misuse. Why do you find the concept of a technical test so objectionable?
            Because like any exam, it only tests the person's memory.

I value having the initiative to quickly find solutions more valuable than remembering every damn keyword, term, and syntax.

It's like they're continually checking for newbies, when if my CV has any worth at all then it should be proof enough I've got what it takes to write a piece of code, and they should only be worried about whether I 'fit'.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Should you blag the background check?
              I know someone who got into SHAPE on a completely fraudulent CV (they took a copy of someones and put their own contact details on it).
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

PAH,

you tell 'em

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  PAH,

you tell 'em

Milan.

I sure do. And you know what Stan, it's another fine mess.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    What's the difference between blagging and lying or for that matter fraud? I guess it sounds less wrong?
                    It's all the same. What differs is who said it:

Blagging - The term used by the perpretator of the act in an attempt to soften the blow e.g. Yes, I did blag a bit but I really wanted the job. No harm done, eh?

Lying - The term used by the furious victim of the act. e.g. Your code has cost me thousands, which is no wonder, judging by the pack of lies you unashamedly adorned your C.V. with.

Fraud - The term used by the prosecutor trying to put your arse in jail. e.g. What you did Sir,is a very serious fraudulent act.

Comment

Because like any exam, it only tests the person's memory.
                      In that case maybe I misunderstood you. The technical test for my current contract was ok - I was given a Word doc containing requirements and a computer with the development environment on it, and given 3 hours to develop code to meet those requirements with the help of whatever Internet resources and books I needed.

The approach described seems to work well here - there's no deadwood within the team because 9 of 10 candidates fail the test.

I do agree with you on the paper-based technical tests - those are indeed bizarre. I know I'd fail many of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X