• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent lied to client about my skills and now I have an interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is don't worry about it. Don't be subservient to the agent either. If they got it wrong and the end-client finds out in the interview, make it clear that it's the agency admin that got it wrong.

This happened to me in a telephone interview and it was soon very clear to both of us that the agency simply hadn't read the brief.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Do the interview.

If the client mentions the skill you are sketchy about convince them you are a quick learner and will be up to speed it in no time. Then when you get the gig learn the skill.

I agree

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        If you always get the job, you're not stretching your skills or your rate enough.
        definitely agree with that

but.... i've been interviewed 3 times, got 2 contracts from those 3 interviews, and had a further 2 contracts without any sort of interview
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Do the interview.

If the client mentions the skill you are sketchy about convince them you are a quick learner and will be up to speed it in no time. Then when you get the gig learn the skill.
          WSS.

If they bring it up at interview, make it clear that you can pick it up, and have some basic knowledge of it. If they say anything about it not being that way on your CV, then make it clear that it was on the CV that you sent to the agent.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Take a copy of your CV with you.
            Answer any questions as truthfully as you normally would.
            If they query why your CV indicates different give them a copy of your original CV.

I've had many a CV mangled by being showhorned into the agencies format and a few that seemed to have expanded in the process.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
              If they query why your CV indicates different give them a copy of your original CV.

I've had many a CV mangled by being showhorned into the agencies format and a few that seemed to have expanded in the process.

K
              It's a phone interview.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post

K
                shoehorned ?

Comment

question is, are you a consultant do you have consultant mentality and instinct and will you make it as a contractor ?

Milan.

Comment

Honesty after sales

During the interview put your best skills forward impress them, avoid the patchy skill subtly and when they ask for your weak one try and identify how important it is. I'm told the trick is to get them talking about their problems and inject your success stories in similar situations.

If its a major part of the job then say, 'sorry I think the Agent has over emphasised that slightly, it may have got lost in translation (ok you know he's cooked and so does the client but you give everyone a subtle out), my CV is a bit clearer can I send you a copy?'

Hopefully by the time you get to this point you will have a feel if its a deal breaker and you will have impressed them with your other skills. Make sure you have done your homework on the weak skill convince them you are pretty good already and are being modest.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not usually a problem, they do it all the time.
                      Happened to me and it came up in the interview, I just said I didn´t have that experience (that was in the CV). No problem the interviewer made a small note, assumed it was a misunderstanding and carried on. Didn´t affect anything. The interview clarifies to the interviewer what you´ve done. So don´t worry about it. Don´t say the Agent lied, that´s bad, you´ve got to give the impression you´re happy and get on with your agent.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X