• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Interesting how you don't provide links. BTW If I remember the woman in Saudi was raped - and so was her man friend - by a group of men. So while the men did get sentenced, the woman was also punished for being out with her boyfriend.

Oh, that's understandable then. Silly woman.

You say Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are not representative of Muslim countries, but they appear to implement Sharia Law in its full and purest form, so surely they are in fact perfect examples - as close as it gets to perfection for the clerics? Other Muslim countries are secular like Turkey, or just not fully implementing Sharia Law.
    Who decides which bits to pic 'n mix or water down for Sharia Britain? Or is it a constantly evolving cycle?
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 8 February 2008, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      One does so miss the days when bishops were all for bombing the tulipe out of people.
      That'll be the "Holy Handgrenade of Antioch" then...

Comment

On the whole I think this Bishop is correct. It's going to happen anyway so why struggle with it?

Calling Sharia law backwards and something from the Dark-Ages is to forget that the basis for English law, the sense of fairness and flexibility enshrined in Magna Carta and Common Law is way way older and comes from ancient Saxon and Angle traditions.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          On the whole I think this Bishop is correct. It's going to happen anyway so why struggle with it?

Calling Sharia law backwards and something from the Dark-Ages is to forget that the basis for English law, the sense of fairness and flexibility enshrined in Magna Carta and Common Law is way way older and comes from ancient Saxon and Angle traditions.
          Your point is?

Churchill - In "Well paint my arse black and call me a muslim!" mode!

Comment

At least Dr Williams has diverted attention from the schism in the Anglican communion that he's presiding over.

And where's Sandy in all this "debate"?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              And where's Sandy in all this "debate"?

Off to the divorce courts while she still can?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Time to softly outlaw all religions - a good start would be making it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to receive any religious studies, only when the person is grown up it might be allowed to get this information to make up his/her mind on the basis of all known evidence.
                Been tried in various communist countries. The USSR had compulsory atheism classes.

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
                It's hard to believe that any intelligent person could in all seriousness say,

Surely that is the whole idea of a legal system, in the proud tradition of the Napoleonic legal code? Everyone, no matter their race, sex, creed, or birthright is equal before the law.
                English law isn't based on the Napoleonic code. That's why it's quite different in many aspects from the rest of Europe. You may recall that Napolean was defeated by the English.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  English law isn't based on the Napoleonic code. That's why it's quite different in many aspects from the rest of Europe. You may recall that Napolean was defeated by the English.
                  Ahem! Neither is Scots Law, different though it is from English Law.

And Napoleon was defeated by the British. Not to mention the Prussians.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I'm saddling my horse as we speak, which way is Canterbury from here?
                    Ive got the fire already burning in the lounge for you in Naresbourough (sp??)

Make sure you avoid the alter boy this time though!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                      Ive got the fire already burning in the lounge for you in Naresbourough (sp??)

Make sure you avoid the alter boy this time though!

Mailman
                      A Yeman hadde he, and servantz namo
                      At that tyme, for hym liste ride soo;
                      And he was clad in cote and hood of grene,
                      A sheef of pecok arwes bright and kene
                      Under his belt he bar ful thriftily-
                      Wel koude he dresse his takel yemanly,
                      Hise arwes drouped noght with fetheres lowe-
                      And in his hand he baar a myghty bowe.
                      A not -heed hadde he, with a broun visage,
                      Of woodecraft wel koude he al the usage.
                      Upon his arm he baar a gay bracer,
                      And by his syde a swerd and a bokeler,
                      And on that oother syde a gay daggere,
                      Harneised wel, and sharpe as point of spere.
                      A Cristophere on his brest of silver sheene,
                      An horn he bar, the bawdryk was of grene.
                      A Forster was he, soothly, as I gesse.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X