• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think you will be investigated ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lacking an option in this poll. I dont worry about it much, but also dont discount thefact I might be investigated.

Your poll is to melodramatic, not everyone is a drama queen.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      Shirley that's the best idea, ne c'est pas?
      Works for me when I first started I was immensely proud of my little old company that I created... it was my baby ... I paid all taxes due on time and in full, I felt that longevity gave it an aura of respectability and credit worthiness..... Then the PAYE investigation (aka fishing trip) started & it quickly became clear that the longer time you had been running the more they had to fish for and the more outrageous their demands were – ffs the moron who visited announced that accountants fees were not an allowable business expense!!

Bully boy tactics were the order of the day and a lot of rounding & ‘deeming’ used in their calculations of amounts owing – ended up as a £13k demand if I recall but reduced to a reluctant £300 by my astute accountant…. but then they asked for ‘the contracts’ and it morphed into a IR35 investigation
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        …. but then they asked for ‘the contracts’ and it morphed into a IR35 investigation
        ...what happened next?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
          ...what happened next?
          I already had insurance against IR35 investigation (through PCG membership (yes I know) & QDOS (who were very very good) dealt with it through 2 1/2 years of correspondence with assorted HMRC drones who finally admitted defeat
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            I already had insurance against IR35 investigation (through PCG membership (yes I know) & QDOS (who were very very good) dealt with it through 2 1/2 years of correspondence with assorted HMRC drones who finally admitted defeat
            Wow - my PAYE/IR35 'review' was easy peasy compared to that. Hector was quite a nice bloke actually. He had a list of IR35 questions to ask me, which I answered. He went away with all my books, contracts etc and sent me a letter saying I owed a few hundred quid and that was it. The most annoying bit of the whole thing is that he sent years of company books back by standard post in a big box, which the postman left on the doorstep !!

Comment

Working...
            X