• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you think you will be investigated ?"

Collapse

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I already had insurance against IR35 investigation (through PCG membership (yes I know) & QDOS (who were very very good) dealt with it through 2 1/2 years of correspondence with assorted HMRC drones who finally admitted defeat
    Wow - my PAYE/IR35 'review' was easy peasy compared to that. Hector was quite a nice bloke actually. He had a list of IR35 questions to ask me, which I answered. He went away with all my books, contracts etc and sent me a letter saying I owed a few hundred quid and that was it. The most annoying bit of the whole thing is that he sent years of company books back by standard post in a big box, which the postman left on the doorstep !!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    ...what happened next?
    I already had insurance against IR35 investigation (through PCG membership (yes I know) & QDOS (who were very very good) dealt with it through 2 1/2 years of correspondence with assorted HMRC drones who finally admitted defeat

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    …. but then they asked for ‘the contracts’ and it morphed into a IR35 investigation
    ...what happened next?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Shirley that's the best idea, ne c'est pas?
    Works for me when I first started I was immensely proud of my little old company that I created... it was my baby ... I paid all taxes due on time and in full, I felt that longevity gave it an aura of respectability and credit worthiness..... Then the PAYE investigation (aka fishing trip) started & it quickly became clear that the longer time you had been running the more they had to fish for and the more outrageous their demands were – ffs the moron who visited announced that accountants fees were not an allowable business expense!!

Bully boy tactics were the order of the day and a lot of rounding & ‘deeming’ used in their calculations of amounts owing – ended up as a £13k demand if I recall but reduced to a reluctant £300 by my astute accountant…. but then they asked for ‘the contracts’ and it morphed into a IR35 investigation

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Lacking an option in this poll. I dont worry about it much, but also dont discount thefact I might be investigated.

Your poll is to melodramatic, not everyone is a drama queen.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Fermat

theorem

Ah I see atw got there before me

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Would you discuss Fermet's theory on a first date?

FFS Fermat!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    Are their small public sector commie brains capable of reasoning that it makes more sense to investigate a target with a larger potential liability? Do your chances increase/decrease according to their potential take from an investigation? Does anyone know?
    Not categorically, but anecdotal evidence & common sense suggest this is the way they will target their operations

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    just close your company down after 3
    Shirley that's the best idea, ne c'est pas?

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Fermat

theorem

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Where is the "I've already been investigated" option?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Just wondered how paranoid people are about being IR35 investigated ?

Even though Im pretty much outside of IR35, I'm still worry about it, sometimes I dont think about it other times it keeps me up at night thinking could I lose everything... would they make me declare myself bankrupt resulting in never being able to work in my sector again. Some people I know dont break a sweat even though there still doing loans and trust etc.
    Why are you going to lose everything !? If you lose an IR35 case you are basically paying back the NI that you saved in the first place, plus interest, plus a possible penalty percentage that doens't seem to be applied. This should not bankrupt you, if it will you are living beyond your means. Don't stay in one contract for years and put something away to cover the worst case scenario.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    No,

last UK contract was in 2002 so no chance.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No you wouldn't. Most of my female staff fall for my charms

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What worries me is that I'll get investigated 5 years down the line when I've forgotten all about what I was doing on this contract.
    just close your company down after 3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X