• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conundrum.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes on second thoughts deliver a few days ahead of schedule, thus distinguishing yourself from the permies even further...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I have tested the bollox out fo it.

I am going for the 'deliver it slightly early' approach. I want to be the 'go to' guy that they never actually go to. The problem solver who doesnt really solve any problems.....

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        I have tested the bollox out fo it.

I am going for the 'deliver it slightly early' approach. I want to be the 'go to' guy that they never actually go to. The problem solver who doesnt really solve any problems.....
        You're an advocate of fraud then? Well, at least we know.

Comment

When you're estimating, much depends on whether you're doing something already proved, or whether you're really doing R&D. If the latter, then estimates are always going to be very rough. Most of my work is of the latter kind.

The client are aware that if they come to me with a problem, that I'll give my best guess, but that an accurate estimate will only arrive once I've done some proper analysis. I've also educated them that every estimate has a certainty factor, and the deliver date has a probability curve. I.e. if I say it'll take me 10 days, with a high uncertainty, that means, say, 50% chance it'll take 10 days, 25% chance it'll take 9, 11 or 12 days. And there's a 0.0001% chance I'll be able to do it in 30 seconds.

I have occassionally gone back to them after initial estimate and told them that it will take much much longer. They accept this, because they trust me. And they trust me because I tell them when it'll be much quicker than the original estimate.

In your situation I'd just say "Now I've actually had the chance to do some analysis, I think it's possible that I've found a very efficient way of doing this, with minimal changes. Let me just work through it - but it looks promising". Do some really thorough testing and make sure you're right. Sleep on it. Then the next day, if you're still certain, say "It works".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

When asked for an estimate, I request a couple of days to do some investigation. I do not pull estimates out of my head.

Comment

You're an advocate of fraud then? Well, at least we know.
              What part is fraud?

Comment

When asked for an estimate, I request a couple of days to do some investigation. I do not pull estimates out of my head.
                Out of your backside then?

Comment

What part is fraud?
                  Not telling them you've completed the work? Billing for £thousands for no work? Don't you have an obligation to inform the client when you complete tasks?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What part is fraud?
                    Oh, let me see, charging the client for work already completed. Yes, that'll be it.

Btw, if I were to pull an estimate out of my arse, it'd probably be a more accurate estimate than yours.

Unless of course this is all bollocks and you're doing a Threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Not telling them you've completed the work? Billing for £thousands for no work? Don't you have an obligation to inform the client when you complete tasks?
                      Oh how quaint. One day you will learn how the world works... until then.. just try your best.

Comment

Working...
                      X