• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conundrum.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Billing for £thousands for no work?
    Depends if posting/reading to CUK forums counts as research shurely...?

Comment

In Churchills world we are all being fraudalent everytime we do anything at work which is not directly work related.....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        When you're estimating, much depends on whether you're doing something already proved, or whether you're really doing R&D. If the latter, then estimates are always going to be very rough. Most of my work is of the latter kind.

The client are aware that if they come to me with a problem, that I'll give my best guess, but that an accurate estimate will only arrive once I've done some proper analysis. I've also educated them that every estimate has a certainty factor, and the deliver date has a probability curve. I.e. if I say it'll take me 10 days, with a high uncertainty, that means, say, 50% chance it'll take 10 days, 25% chance it'll take 9, 11 or 12 days. And there's a 0.0001% chance I'll be able to do it in 30 seconds.

I have occassionally gone back to them after initial estimate and told them that it will take much much longer. They accept this, because they trust me. And they trust me because I tell them when it'll be much quicker than the original estimate.

In your situation I'd just say "Now I've actually had the chance to do some analysis, I think it's possible that I've found a very efficient way of doing this, with minimal changes. Let me just work through it - but it looks promising". Do some really thorough testing and make sure you're right. Sleep on it. Then the next day, if you're still certain, say "It works".

I agree with your approach NotAllThere - a very professional way of doing things and bound to create a good impression with your clients.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
          In Churchills world we are all being fraudalent everytime we do anything at work which is not directly work related.....
          Bollocks, I didn't say that.

What I said was that to continue charging for work already completed when you are paid on an hourly or daily basis is fraudulent.

Now you're trying to back-pedal. Personally I think you're doing a "Threaded" either that or a "Denny".

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Bollocks, I didn't say that.

What I said was that to continue charging for work already completed when you are paid on an hourly or daily basis is fraudulent.

Now you're trying to back-pedal. Personally I think you're doing a "Threaded" either that or a "Denny".

So you post on CUK and charge the client? And thats ok?
            I am not back peddling at all, you are just not making any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
              So you post on CUK and charge the client? And thats ok?
              I am not back peddling at all, you are just not making any sense.
              I'm a staffer, I run the department, I employ contractors on behalf of the company I work for. I don't get paid overtime, I work around 60hrs a week. I'm a great believer in flexibility.

Now, piss off back to work Billy!

Comment

Tay Make the most of your success only 3.5 years to go to another period of bitter disappointment.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I don't get paid overtime, I work around 60hrs a week.
                  There's one born every minute.

Comment

I'm a staffer, I run the department, I employ contractors on behalf of the company I work for. I don't get paid overtime, I work around 60hrs a week.
                    Why am I not surprised

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Tay Make the most of your success only 3.5 years to go to another period of bitter disappointment.
                      Bugger off.. havent you got a fine to pay?

Comment

Working...
                      X