• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

religion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Can those who picked Other please enlighten us?
    Being an IT Contractor bulletin board I bet there's a few sad 'felt hats' who regard themselves as "Jedi".
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      Anyone advocating militant/aggressive action against either party should be punished somehow. It's an individual's right to practice whatever belief they like as long as it doesn't break laws, intrude into others' lives, force beliefs upon others, violate human rights or damage social cohesion. IMO anyway.
      I agree with that, being an atheist, but then I also question how anyone can possibly be religious and not want to intrude into others' lives, force beliefs on others, violate human rights, and damage social cohesion. And where the law disagrees with your religion, break the law too.

A religion isn't a part time hobby, it's meant to be the thing you live your life by above and beyond all else.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Yeah, me. The option of ‘who cares’ would have fit the bill but for it being grouped with ‘atheist’. I don’t particularly believe in atheism, the biblical God or the non-existence of 'God'. These terms are poorly defined and are not universally accepted or agreed anyway. The number of ways of not believing is infinite, so why bother with a label for something [i.e. atheist] that smells almost as bad as a belief system it replaces? Nor do I believe in fairy tales, the bogeyman or an infinite number of other things that have no term for disbelief in them.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Just like eating Kosher and getting circumcised doesn't make you a Jew.

Doesn't it? Where do I apply for a refund?!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Just like eating Kosher and getting circumcised doesn't make you a Jew.
            Jews and Sikhs are races. The others are just religions.

Well according to the interpretation of the race laws in the UK by the higher courts of the kingdom.

The muslims don't like this when I tell them this which I do frequently......
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You must be very fun to work with.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sure.

I'm in the market for a new religion since my old one hasn't lived up to my expectations.

I dabbled a bit with a few ancient orders, but found all of them dull and stuffy.

I'm quite tempted by the neo-pagan route, but I eat meat, hate plants and detest hippies.

Egyptology interests me, and having a temple to Thoth in the living room would be pretty funky, except I have no space.

Ah well. that's my 5 min break from WOW over. Time to get back to work. I'll give it some thought later, unless we have a raid or something.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Yeah, me. The option of ‘who cares’ would have fit the bill but for it being grouped with ‘atheist’. I don’t particularly believe in atheism, the biblical God or the non-existence of 'God'. These terms are poorly defined and are not universally accepted or agreed anyway. The number of ways of not believing is infinite, so why bother with a label for something [i.e. atheist] that smells almost as bad as a belief system it replaces? Nor do I believe in fairy tales, the bogeyman or an infinite number of other things that have no term for disbelief in them.
                  You should have gone for "Hindu" then. Maybe you'll thank me for that one day.

(except by then, I'll be a dragonfly).

Achintya bheda abheda tattva,
                  tl

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    I do like that you have a quote in your signature from one of the most famous Christian authors.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I agree with that, being an atheist, but then I also question how anyone can possibly be religious and not want to intrude into others' lives, force beliefs on others, violate human rights, and damage social cohesion. And where the law disagrees with your religion, break the law too.

A religion isn't a part time hobby, it's meant to be the thing you live your life by above and beyond all else.
                      Yeah, but what if one of your core religious beliefs is that you mustn't intrude into others' lives, force your beliefs on anyone else, violate human rights and damage social cohesion?

I've no problem with people breaking the law where they feel it disagrees with their religion - so long as they are also willing to take the consequences, and not whinge about it. ( Rather like when you get a speeding fine ).
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X