• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedlam at Heathrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just the start of a cunning plan to obtain a new runway by stealth without all the legal wrangles. Planes will be landing in fields, on motorways, supermarket car parks etc. all round Heathrow. Once people get used to it and such happenings no longer make the news, those planes will be added to the schedules and they will start running buses from the "crash" sites to the terminals.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

One of the eyewitnesses was a cabbie who said the plane just missed his cab. Now there's one taxi I don't want to be getting into for a while - 'I had that 777 in the back of the cab last week' etc
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Gordon Brown is jinxed:

Glasgow airport terror attack
        Floods
        Northern Rock
        Lost benefit discs

He can't even go to the airport without a plane crashing.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

And in other news, Prince William completes his first solo flight in an aircraft:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7194657.stm

Hang on - these stories aren't linked are they?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Accordng to the news the plane was gliding in dueto loss of power andelectrics.
            Fine job by the pilot.
            The short skid is due to the undercarriage digging in to the grass and acting as an anchor. If that was deliberate then the pilot is a genious.

How close to the nearest road was this? I know M25 is there but not sure which direction this was coming in.

In the news yesterday I read that another 777 had a near miss a few days ago when it almost ran out of fuel. My theory is that the plane was almost out of fuel last week and the remaining fuel was contaminated by the dregs that are found at the bottom of a tank when levels are low. Thus when more power was required, this contaminated fuel meant that the engines could not respond.

Airlines were taking risks a few years back when fuel prices were high by not completely filling the tanks to cut down on fuel consumption by reducing weight carried. It seems that we may be revisiting those days and reductions in passenger safety could be a price that we are being asked to pay by the airlines. I hope this is not the case, but I fear it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              In the news yesterday I read that another 777 had a near miss a few days ago when it almost ran out of fuel. My theory is that the plane was almost out of fuel last week and the remaining fuel was contaminated by the dregs that are found at the bottom of a tank when levels are low. Thus when more power was required, this contaminated fuel meant that the engines could not respond.

Airlines were taking risks a few years back when fuel prices were high by not completely filling the tanks to cut down on fuel consumption by reducing weight carried. It seems that we may be revisiting those days and reductions in passenger safety could be a price that we are being asked to pay by the airlines. I hope this is not the case, but I fear it is.
              bah! unfounded allegations...
              I think the plane landing fairies that carry it gently to ground went on strike.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

BTW - I heard that, after the 5 hour grilling, the pilot took all his aircrew out for a curry. What a hero!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  BTW - I heard that, after the 5 hour grilling, the pilot took all his aircrew out for a curry. What a hero!
                  They spent the rest of the night on the throne with burning rings, though.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Bet it's software related.
                    That would surprise me, each engine has 2 independant computers. I woul hope running ring fenced software possibly developed from different sources. For both sets of software to cras in the same place would be a stretch.
                    I have been trying t think of a common cause for both engines.
                    All I can come up with is the fuel. different tanks, but both full of chinese fuel.

Anybody else got any ideas?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                      All I can come up with is the fuel. different tanks, but both full of chinese fuel.
                      They had a pretty long flight (7 hours I think), if fuel was that bad then this problem would have probably happened well before approach to Heathrow.

What happened is certainly very odd. But they have got lots of recording, pilots are alive, and I doubt the engines themselves are that damaged, so they should be able to dig some reasonable explanation.

Personally I am no longer flying any airplanes - train/car only for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X