• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Clarkson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Compulsory Meccano lessons in schools, that's what we need.
    The only thing I learnt from playing with Meccano was that I'd make a crap engineer

Oh , and those little square nuts will shred your fingers if you dont use the spanner!
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      The only thing I learnt from playing with Meccano was that I'd make a crap engineer

Oh , and those little square nuts will shred your fingers if you dont use the spanner!
      You are Julian Clary and I claim my free warm hand upon my entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        One of the advantages of being educated at public school is that you can go through life without carrying a chip on your shoulder.
        I'm well balanced. I have a chip on both shoulders.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Manufacturing output in real terms is about the same as it was in the 1970's.
          Well that's progress for you, not something other countries would allow including the US.

However employment in manufacturing has declined due, mainly due to automation and general productivity improvements, as anywhere else.
          Is part of the reason that people in the UK are not interested in pursuing a career in engineering anymore?

Automation in production line manufacturing is fine for mature designs, however, it will never replace inventiveness, which I feel is (compared to the past) that we Brit's struggle to maintain. I think on an individual level this will change in the future and the state would do well to have more foresight in releasing this potential.

If were one to argue about this it should be whether manufacturing in real terms should grow; most of Britain's growth is in services. The "decline" of manufacturing is not a valid debate; it should be renamed the lack of growth in manufacturing. However per $ earned services provide far more jobs.
          Exactly. Services provide more jobs the voters will indeed be happy with that. Our once strong manufacturing heritage extending right back to the industrial revolution itself can be tossed aside.

On another note... There is also the issue of quality when manufacturing aboard. I've recently seen one my client's return a fabrication to the country of origin due to poor welding, carbon content of the weld was so high you could almost break it away with a screw driver. Project was delayed in fact they were committed to install at a considerable loss.

laterally when I was in wellington, NZ earlier in the year I saw the Hikitia Floating Crane Ship built in 1926 still in use today. Built in Glasgow, scotland - 'of course' I muttered to myself.
          Last edited by scooterscot; 22 August 2008, 11:27.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Automation in production line manufacturing is fine for mature designs, however, it will never replace inventiveness, which I feel is (compared to the past) that we Brit's struggle to maintain. I think on an individual level this will change in the future and the state would do well to have more foresight in releasing this potential.

I think we do rather well on the small scale "creative" engineering. Look at the number of formula one and other motor sport teams based in the UK because of the engineering expertise we have.

It's turning innovative engineering into successfull products that we struggle with.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

It's turning innovative engineering into successfull products that we struggle with.
              We've got Dragons Den for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ft101 View Post
                What everyone seems to miss when discussing the loss of a manufacturing base, is that if we're ever in a situation (eg war) where we need a large manufacturing base to quickly turnaround to making planes, munitions, tanks etc etc then we're ****ed.
                Indeed. It is also a life-style choice. The Europeans encourage and subsidise agriculture and manafacturing. They don't do it for economic reasons but because they want to have countries that still make / grow stuff. I don't understand why this is considered such a bad thing in Britain
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  Indeed. It is also a life-style choice. The Europeans encourage and subsidise agriculture and manafacturing. They don't do it for economic reasons but because they want to have countries that still make / grow stuff. I don't understand why this is considered such a bad thing in Britain
                  Because this country is full of people like Clarkson who profess to want us to be a success but

1)Suggest anyone who wants to invest taxpayers money on this kind of thing is a communist lefty lesbian trade unionist.
                  2) Slag any British car made in the last 50 years just because it's British.
                  3)Think Thatcher was some kind of hero saviour genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Because this country is full of people like Clarkson who profess to want us to be a success but

1)Suggest anyone who wants to invest taxpayers money on this kind of thing is a communist lefty lesbian trade unionist.
                    2) Slag any British car made in the last 50 years just because it's British.
                    3)Think Thatcher was some kind of hero saviour genius.
                    Being able to grow crops and manufacture goods domestically is vitally important if the world political situation was to suddenly take a turn for the worse and the global economics which we currently enjoy ground to a halt.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Being able to grow crops and manufacture goods domestically is vitally important if the world political situation was to suddenly take a turn for the worse and the global economics which we currently enjoy ground to a halt.
                      I would also like to generate electricity. I dont trust the ruskies and their gas supply.

Comment

Working...
                      X