• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offering Free Technical help to Charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GWilliy View Post
    Wow fast reponse - Thanks

Dim - Requirements would be better known after a Proposal & Scope had been created. but generally MS SQL Server & .Net is in use
    Is that the real .Net or special .Net? Because I'd consider doing a bit of a freebie for CRM on the latter (i.e. SAP, which for the uninitiated is really not what you want to be doing these days).

Comment

This is not a discussion I will get into but to put the record straight
      It's about time the admins changed the forum descriptions to reflect recent trends:

1) 'General' is for wind-ups, insults, trivialities, house price talk and non-puerile comedy.
      2) 'Light Relief' is for posts containing innuendo and jeuvenile content and other rubbish of an even lower standard than that in 'General'.
      3) 'Business/Contracts', 'Legal' and 'Technical' are the only places you should even consider posting something that you intend to be taken remotely seriously.

This would no doubt save much confusion by newcomers.

Comment

Charities (should) only spend money to make more money than they would if they didn't spend the money.

I have done work for charadee for free in the past, but, aside from not liking to talk about it, the biggest issue is that when a client is paying you to solve problems, they tend not to throw silly things at you - or if they do, they learn from their mistakes.

On the receiving end, the charity can end up with a system that reflects what they paid for it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've helped a charity out for free in the past and when I didn't have the time I recruited 2 students who needed the work experience to take over.

As NotAllThere said you get silly requests thrown at you, or they ask for things they can't afford. Either way you have to spend ages explaining why it can't be done.

If I was to do any voluntary work now I would go back to doing the bog standard stuff that didn't involve using any of my technical skills.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Has anyone noticed the graph at the moment is a perfect Gaussian curve?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Looks more like the side of my mk 2 Fiesta XR2...
              The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Now it just looks like someone putting their middle finger up.

(I didn't vote that way to force this)

Comment

Well done Churchill

If your going to slander people for no reason you really should do a little bit of research first.

This is not a discussion I will get into but to put the record straight

see
                  http://www.intelligentgiving.com/fat_cat_salaries

GW
                  Think about what I posted!

I don't post spurious info.

Nowhere on the link you posted does it say that Gill is the highest paid employee at Oxfam.

I have done some research on this due to my position on numerous charity boards.

Think before you squeak in future.
                  Last edited by Churchill; 27 November 2007, 16:52.

Comment

Churchill
                    Ref
                    Think about what I posted!
                    You actually posted
                    Half the upper management at Oxfam are pulling in six figure salaries/stipends
                    to which I said you should do a bit of research first & you respond with
                    I don't post spurious info.

Nowhere on the link you posted does it say that Gill is the highest paid employee at Oxfam.
                    if you click on the profile - this clearly states the Highest Salary
                    see this for a shortcut
                    http://www.intelligentgiving.com/charity/202918/numbers

Ref
                    I have done some research on this due to my position on numerous charity boards.
                    Your previous comment
                    why not hook up to the same gravy train?
                    Clearly shows you in your true light.

Thanks for persistently trying to destroy something that is simply trying to do some good.

Comment

If your going to slander people for no reason you really should do a little bit of research first.
                      Not on this board mate.

No pre-requisites required for slander, giving financial advice or debating politics.

Comment

Working...
                      X