• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much will you spend on a significant other this Xmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Are you donating to charity this Christmas?
    I try to donate to charities throughout the year, not just at Xmas....
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Hmmm, no offence Sal, but don't you think this indulgent attitude is responsible for a lot of stuff that you're trying to fix in retrospect?
      It's one day a year!!!

So, no!

Xmas is about indulgance - thats why you buy the massive turkey and live off it for a week!
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
        I try to donate to charities throughout the year, not just at Xmas....
        I'm just interested (particularly since there was that poll a while back about giving to charity) about whether when you say you give to those less well off than yourself, does that mean just people you know or charity giving as well.

I bought my Granddad some chickens for his birthday and a chicken coop for Christmas through Oxfam Unwrapped last year - what else can I buy a 94 year old, who lives in a nursing home, and doesn't really eat chocolate or drink alcohol???
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"Christmas is about indulgence"

Spoken like a true capitalist..
          the poor starving in Africa don't even get a look in
          the old people who have no relatives, and no money for the heating

it isn't about them, it's about spending money and eating for two.

Milan
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Well, I pay around 30% taxes, not including VAT, and with this and many other peoples money, the government see fit to dish it out to lots of "deserving people" in the form of Benefits, etc. Therefore, my tax money is used to give to the "supposedly poor", which in a way is very similar to what a charity does.

And lets not forget, Charity begins at home!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=TheFaQQer;361892]I'm just interested (particularly since there was that poll a while back about giving to charity) about whether when you say you give to those less well off than yourself, does that mean just people you know or charity giving as well.
              QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't see that poll. I am very picky about charities as I suspect that too much of the money donated goes on admin etc and does not get to the poeple that need it. I try to give to my local charities as I know that the people that need the help will get it. My comment was really aimed at family members and friends however.
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Just think about that poor old pensioner who fought so you can enjoy your freedom, and he's lonely and cold this Christmas. If it wasn't for the likes of him you'd have to act like grown ups instead of lavishing 100s of pounds on toys for adult children. I bet he feels like a proper sponger.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Just think about that poor old pensioner who fought so you can enjoy your freedom, and he's lonely and cold this Christmas. If it wasn't for the likes of him you'd have to act like grown ups instead of lavishing 100s of pounds on toys for adult children. I bet he feels like a proper sponger.
                  <sniff>

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Yep, I also find that I spend too much on people that have less than me, but isn't that the spirit of Xmas? If you enjoy the giving, then isn't that what it's about?
                    Yep, I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      I'm just interested (particularly since there was that poll a while back about giving to charity) about whether when you say you give to those less well off than yourself, does that mean just people you know or charity giving as well.
                      Sorry, didn't see that poll. I am very picky about charities as I suspect that too much of the money donated goes on admin etc and does not get to the poeple that need it. I try to give to my local charities as I know that the people that need the help will get it. My comment was really aimed at family members and friends however.
                      The other thread is here.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X