• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much will you spend on a significant other this Xmas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Sometimes - but that's just Xmas isn't it!

I'd rather have loads of prezzies, some of which I just put away, than one thing. When we have kids and become old and bitter like you, I reckon we'll end up doing the one present thing
    Who said that it was just one present?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Do people generally have a plan for Xmas shopping? I always ask her what she wants, and she says "Oh, I don't know, you always just do so well"..so helpful!!

For the 3 months prior to Xmas, when we are out shopping, it pays to listen to all of the "Oh, I like that" comments that she makes. Then I go out later and get them all.

Generally, just walk around the shops, with no plan and just see what I think she will like...
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Sometimes - but that's just Xmas isn't it!

I'd rather have loads of prezzies, some of which I just put away, than one thing. When we have kids and become old and bitter like you, I reckon we'll end up doing the one present thing
        Are you really focussed on this retiring early lark? That will be the best present you can give each other and the more in the pot, the better present it will be. I really just don't understand this consumerism.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

We always set a budget of £200, I always go over but he always goes MEGA over with me. This year I've bought my Mum a trip to a cookery school and I'm going with her so I agreed that would be my pressie but I know he has bought me other stuff!! It's all one bank account so it's "our" money but he knows that I don't treat myself to stuff during the year while if he wants something he buys it ... so it's his way of evening it up I spose ...

We are both terrible for buying things for other people - we don't know when to stop, especially the people we know who have no money!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Are you really focussed on this retiring early lark? That will be the best present you can give each other and the more in the pot, the better present it will be. I really just don't understand this consumerism.
            What's spending money on Xmas presents got to do with retiring early?! I dont want to retire early if it means I can never spend any money again!

What's the point of that?! Should holidays go too? What about new clothes? Saturday nigths out? etc etc.

We just like to really treat each other at Xmas - nothing wrong with that. We also like to drink Port, eat way too much food, dress up in our Xmas best, and talk happily to strangers too! That's what Xmas is to me (being non religious)
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
              so it's his way of evening it up I spose ...
              Ahhhhhhh - he sounds lovely
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
                We are both terrible for buying things for other people - we don't know when to stop, especially the people we know who have no money!
                Yep, I also find that I spend too much on people that have less than me, but isn't that the spirit of Xmas? If you enjoy the giving, then isn't that what it's about?
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                  Yep, I also find that I spend too much on people that have less than me, but isn't that the spirit of Xmas? If you enjoy the giving, then isn't that what it's about?
                  Are you donating to charity this Christmas?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What's spending money on Xmas presents got to do with retiring early?! I dont want to retire early if it means I can never spend any money again!

What's the point of that?! Should holidays go too? What about new clothes? Saturday nigths out? etc etc.

We just like to really treat each other at Xmas - nothing wrong with that. We also like to drink Port, eat way too much food, dress up in our Xmas best, and talk happily to strangers too! That's what Xmas is to me (being non religious)
                    Hmmm, no offence Sal, but don't you think this indulgent attitude is responsible for a lot of stuff that you're trying to fix in retrospect?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It seems the true meaning of Christmas is conspicuous consumption, over indulging yourself on stodgy food and arguing with the in-laws.

How proud the lord Jesus must be
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X