• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early retirement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started contracting at 28 I put shedloads of my income into a pension with the aim of retiring at 50.

Now at 45 I have diddly squat in the pension and with a sprog on the way I'll probably have to work until 65.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Good plan. Am there or thereabouts already. Kids would completely screw it though ...
      Kids COMPLETELY and utterly destroy any financial plans you put in place before their arrival. It's not even the minor costs of baby clothes, nappies, pushchairs, food etc... it's the major costs when they get a bit older, such as schooling, designer clothes, cars etc. And then you're forced to think about their inheritance!

Having said that, they make life worth living.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        a) Its my home.

b) Because its in the middle of nowhere on a island that no one give a tulipe about! I like being a long long way from Muslim extremists, Iraq wars, tube bombings and Asylum seekers.
        Bet you end up doing a bit of IT once you get bored, 'just to keep your hand in' !

Being from NZ helps a lot but it really is the back of beyond. I'm good at doing sod all but there are limits. I have spent a fair bit of time in middle of nowhere NZ on a mates farm.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Kids COMPLETELY and utterly destroy any financial plans you put in place before their arrival. It's not even the minor costs of baby clothes, nappies, pushchairs, food etc... it's the major costs when they get a bit older, such as schooling, designer clothes, cars etc. And then you're forced to think about their inheritance!

I reckon the costs are overstated, schooling = free, designer clothes = Primark or do a paper round, cars = walk, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              nerdlaugh

Comment

Being from NZ helps a lot but it really is the back of beyond. I'm good at doing sod all but there are limits. I have spent a fair bit of time in middle of nowhere NZ on a mates farm.
                Not an issue. If I was British with this plan to move to NZ I could see your point, but I am moving back to my home town, all my friends and family, old sports clubs etc etc. I know exactly what the area lacks and what it has, I spent 23 years living there.

I wont get bored.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  Are you not having kids SAS? Does MrsG not fancy any? (Or does she like the Prada bags and Manolo's better? )
                  Not sure yet ...at that age where she might suddenly get moody. And no she's very good with money.
                  Still as another poster has said, if you live in the right area schools-wise, kids just "might" not be that expensive.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

nerdlaugh
                    A good point well made.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                      I dont think SAS's combat missions use live rounds......
                      I'm in good company - just like the All Blacks then...

SG in <<duck and hide>> mode
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X