• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas to be downgraded by New Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I thought I has mispelled c-rap as carp but it's a CUK censor thing. What you expect with old Scotty in charge, surprised every word hasn't been changed to a fishing term.

Tench to the lot of you.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If you ask me, and I know you're not but fuggit, I'm going to tell you anyway...

Christianity started going down hill when these so called enlightened types stopped us from smiting things.

Just imagine, walking down to the shops and suddenly feeling the urge to smite. Everything would be ok just so long as you used the blood curdling phrase "I SMITE THEE IN THE NAME OF GOD!!!"

None of this "Shall we gather by the river" bollocks, bring back smiting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Note that the report actually says that other religious festivals should be upgraded in the sense of being given "equal footing". This, in the topsy-turvy world of the Daily Mail, translates into "Christmas should be downgraded."

Well, to upgrade them to be on an "equal footing", you either declare four bank holidays a year for all the other religions or reduce the number for Christians.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Generally speaking I think Christianity in the UK now is a lot less aggressive than it used to be and in my view they can exist just fine since they no longer cause troubles. On the other hand other religions - or even cons like Scientology are very aggressive and make excessive demands - frankly in this day and age they should be grateful that there are no laws prohibiting their stuff because in any other field doing what they do would lead to jail under fraud laws.
          Plus ca change, plus ce la meme. Christianity has never been unchallenged. There have been more Christian martyrs this last century than in all the preceding centuries.

As for it being our 'state' religion then only in this sense, if I remember Gibson correctly,
          To the people all religions were equally true, to the philosophers all religions were equally false, to the policians all religions were equally useful

Perhaps it would best noted that the Christian calendar celebrates its first martyr immediately after it celebrates Jesus' birth, Boxing Day being St Stephen's Day.

Harry

Comment

Working...
          X