• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

booing Frank Lampard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    'aving a larf I hope.
    I'd make exception for the rugby guys - they seem to work their arses off for the victory, so they deserve high payouts, but I say worldwide £1 mln salary cap for any footballer is a must. Maybe make it £5 mln for homegrown players, this would encourage homegrown players to stay in their own countries, this will be good for national teams.

Comment

besides history and tech books, i really like football autos/bios.. i've read keegan, gazza, tony adams, gerrard and keane already.. frank and wazza are next.

the two most popular swipes taken at footballers, by far are:
      a) they are overpaid
      b) they have sh1t for brains

my thoughts:
      a) they just earn their market value (although some *are* overpaid, e.g. shevchenko)

b) why do we pursue further education? to get a decent job.. if we already had a top job at 16, would we bother? probably not.. all top pros typically sign forms whilst at school then sign professional shortly after..

yes footballers come across as retarded A LOT.. what do you expect from somebody that has been obsessed from childhood with dreams of pulling on a <insert club / national side> shirt in front of a packed stadium?

i had that dream and would have happily sacrificed near EVERYTHING to have realised it, including knowledge..

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs View Post
        i had that dream and would have happily sacrificed near EVERYTHING to have realised it, including knowledge..
        You have a stupid dream. I'd question whether you have brains in the first place to wish not to have brains for the sake of being on big screen TV.

I like some footballers who are humble - Owen for example, unlike tw@t Beckham he is a decent guy who fights despite bad run of luck, this deserves respect and I'd say he probably earns his millions fairly. But when you have Shevchenko's on ridiculous money for no results this is a joke - I doubt there is any other business where people can get paid so much for failing to do their job properly.

Ok, there are footballers in good form who are worth their millions - the problem is that they get paid millions regardless of their form, hence booing of Lampard - he should have been dropped from England's team long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs View Post
          has anybody read frank's book?

has Frank read it?

Comment

Originally posted by robnjc View Post
            has Frank read it?
            Reading is optional skill for footballers, so long as they can sign "their" book it's okay

Comment

I personally don't think they are overpaid. They operate in a true market and their pay reflects their market worth. it is based on what they can generate for their club in terms of sponsorship or performances on the pitch, and how much a competitor would be willing to pay for that player.

To cap salaries would be unfair. So Ryan Giggs would only be allowed a maximum of £1mln at Man U, but Cardiff could pay him £5mln - if they had that sort of money.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                To cap salaries would be unfair.
                Tony, anyone who earns above £1 mln per year should not even say word "unfair" in relation to themselves. Unfair is when you are saving people's lifes while working 90 hour weeks as juniour doctor and not even making overtime for it.

Giggs is a good player - fair enough, perhaps he is worth £5 mln - there can option of higher cap for local players, this will encourage them to stay in their own countries.

Of course earnings of players from Brazil will be hummered, but hey - can they earn £1 mln in their own countries?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Tony, anyone who earns above £1 mln per year should not even say word "unfair" in relation to themselves. Unfair is when you are saving people's lifes while working 90 hour weeks as juniour doctor and not even making overtime for it.

Giggs is a good player - fair enough, perhaps he is worth £5 mln - there can option of higher cap for local players, this will encourage them to stay in their own countries.

Of course earnings of players from Brazil will be hummered, but hey - can they earn £1 mln in their own countries?
                  So what do you do about sponsorship deals? For example, the $90Million that Lebron James got from Nike without bouncing a ball proffessionally.

Comment

I don't agree. It is simple supply and demand. The top stars get what they do because of what they generate for their clubs.

Their pay may seem obscene and by many standards it is, but it reflects what their employer is prepared to pay for a very scarce resource.

How about all contractors having their rates chopped to £20 per hour.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Reading is optional skill for footballers, so long as they can sign "their" book it's okay
                      Firstly Alexei, Lampard is well educated. Unusually for a footballer I'll admit.

Secondly, it isn't your money paying those footballers, so why should their high wages worry you?

Comment

Working...
                      X