• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The crash nobody heard about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      this is not an argument, its clearly a contradiction
      AtW with arguments is an oxymoron.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

moron

Comment

just done some sums

The flat I'm renting for £200/wk is valued at £375,000

If I was going to buy it I'd have to put down £75k deposit, get a 6% mortgage of three times my rent, and pay it for 20 years.

If I was only prepared to pay the same £200/wk, it would never get paid off because the outstanding interest would keep getting bigger.

How is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            The flat I'm renting for £200/wk is valued at £375,000

If I was going to buy it I'd have to put down £75k deposit, get a 6% mortgage of three times my rent, and pay it for 20 years.

If I was only prepared to pay the same £200/wk, it would never get paid off because the outstanding interest would keep getting bigger.

How is that right?
            That sounds like you are not paying your fair share of rent. I'd say the rent in that price range being more like 300 pw. However, still your considerations apply, although to a less degree.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

arguement

The alternate spelling of the word 'argument' in British English, as with 'judgment' and 'judgement'.

For the sake of the arguement, let us say that he is a potato.
              I'm saying nothing on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
                "located on the lower ground floor"

Eh...I think in some countries they might refer to that as 'located in the basement'. A snip though at just £420K
                not seen you posting a while Joe, nice to see your still around
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                  That sounds like you are not paying your fair share of rent. I'd say the rent in that price range being more like 300 pw. However, still your considerations apply, although to a less degree.
                  Eh? Fair share? Just because the apartment has doubled in price or something since it last changed hands?

The whole issue at the moment is that renting at current prices can be cheaper than buying at current prices, simply because so many people have property available to let. Rental prices are also governed by supply and demand - but they are not necessarily shackled to property prices! It would be ridiculous to assume that just because a landlord pays £x mortgage a month, he should make the rent equal at least £x. Yes, it's nice if he can (i.e. if the local market allows) but 'fairness' doesn't come into it.

Or maybe I missed your point, and you have knowledge of the rental market in that area for that type of property.

Comment

FFS! Renting is dead dollars. And, as a previously long-term renter, I can say, without fear of contradiction, that all BTL landlords are numpty tw@ts, bumrags, tramp's foreskin knob cheese, and foul-smelling dog eggs. Never, never would I want to assist such a greedy, evil, corrupt sh1thouse bog scraping pay off their mortgage again. The lice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                      Or maybe I missed your point, and you have knowledge of the rental market in that area for that type of property.
                      Well, the proportion between renting and buying is not a linear one. As the property is of much bigger value then the rent is proportionally lower. I was just surprised that you can rent a near 400k house for only 200pw. That would give you a studio flat in London whose value is less. However, I do understand that outside London rents are much cheaper so in this case it might be an appropriate market value. It all depends on location, location, location, you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X