• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear™: UK house market is ‘heading for crash’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M_B View Post
    Therefore the only real difference is immigration.
    The only real difference is we haven't had the bust YET !

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
      Well I'm not sure that immigration argument holds water either. The point with the Japanese crash is that population was dense and was increasing thereby increasing demand. This same argument is also held for the British market remaining high, yet the Japanese experience would suggest this is not true.
      Who are all these immigrants if we aren't talking Europeans? Unless they have ties to the UK I didn't think it was that easy to get in? (I couldn't without a highly skilled migrant visa).

You can't tell me the US doesn't have high immigration. New York, LA and San Francisco are as overpriced as London. We should be following what's happening there.

Oh hang on, what am I thinking... buy before its too late!
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Does anyone know what's happening in the UK wendy house market, I hear a lot of dolls come from China these days, this must be creating a strain in Toytown?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/36564/...o-letters.html

Doomed!

No, hang on, I forget which side I'm on today.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
            Who are all these immigrants if we aren't talking Europeans? Unless they have ties to the UK I didn't think it was that easy to get in? (I couldn't without a highly skilled migrant visa).

You can't tell me the US doesn't have high immigration. New York, LA and San Francisco are as overpriced as London. We should be following what's happening there.

Oh hang on, what am I thinking... buy before its too late!
            Yes - I worded that badly. I was actually agreeing with you.

It should have read "I am not sure that the immigration argu.... "

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Does anyone know what's happening in the UK wendy house market...?
              My house will be worth half a million soon, then I'll sell up and live in a tree while everything crashes around me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                http://www.moneyweek.com/file/36564/...o-letters.html

Doomed!

No, hang on, I forget which side I'm on today.
                That is bad.....very bad.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you called it right you could move up the ladder with little outlay. Cash in at the top, take a subsidized rent in a nice gaff, offer to take it off the Landlords hands when it goes pairshaped with your nifty 1/2 mill in the bank.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    If you called it right you could move up the ladder with little outlay. Cash in at the top, take a subsidized rent in a nice gaff, offer to take it off the Landlords hands when it goes pairshaped with your nifty 1/2 mill in the bank.
                    This is almost exactly what I suggest to her indoors.

Sell up now. Stick the money in the bank (actually several banks). Rent a really nice (bigger) house. Wait for the crash and then move up the ladder. Maybe even see if the landlord wants to sell up.

Her response was house prices can never fall, property only ever goes up.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      This is almost exactly what I suggest to her indoors.

Sell up now. Stick the money in the bank (actually several banks). Rent a really nice (bigger) house. Wait for the crash and then move up the ladder. Maybe even see if the landlord wants to sell up.

Her response was house prices can never fall, property only ever goes up.

Show her the graph at housepricecrash.co.uk:
                      • Fell in late 70s;
                      • Fell in early 80s;
                      • Fell from late 80 to mid 90s.

If she still won't see reason, get a patio put in: somewhere to bury her, and adds to the value of the property. Win-win!

Comment

Working...
                      X