• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear™: UK house market is ‘heading for crash’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Money is cheap, unless inflation rises and interest rates have to rise with it.
    Money were cheap for the first 2 years of discount rate - people thought they would just go elsewhere and get 2 more years of cheap money, now that the rates are up and they won't get new morgage because banks don't want to lend to riff raff those people will have to pay much higher morgage - 50-70% higher in many cases.

Comment

As someone wise once said, "the market can stay overvalued longer than you can stay solvent". Or something like that. Not really sure what they're on about now I think about it... anyway...
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Money were cheap for the first 2 years of discount rate - people thought they would just go elsewhere and get 2 more years of cheap money, now that the rates are up and they won't get new morgage because banks don't want to lend to riff raff those people will have to pay much higher morgage - 50-70% higher in many cases.
        Provide evidence and sums for the 50-70% figure, please ....
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Money is cheap, unless inflation rises and interest rates have to rise with it.
          The inter bank rate isn't as cheap anymore, and that's what counts, irrespective of the BoE base rate. Lenders are not just avoiding sub prime markets, soon only those with top credit ratings will have access to cash.

At least good old Capital One just lent me 15k on 0%
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            soon only those with top credit ratings will have access to cash.

I knew my boring, frugal lifestyle would pay off one day.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I knew my boring, frugal lifestyle would pay off one day.
              Yes, but surely borrowing (and paying back on time consistently) helps boost up your credit rating? Was what I heard, anyway.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Oh yes - AtW - nice to see that you are posting the same stuff as ever!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Provide evidence and sums for the 50-70% figure, please ....
                  It's not my estimate - but here is how it works: people who took morgage 2 years ago were taking at the time of 4.50% interest rates, they had them fixed for initial period of 2 years or maybe even 3 - now official rate is 5.75%, but banks are pushing morgage rates higher because of sub-prime losses, also they won't give credit now to all of the customers who could get it elsewhere, so those who come off initial cheap period of credit will not be able to move and will have to pay 6.75% or higher - this is 50% increase on 4.5%, some subprime chaps will certainly have to pay above 7%.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    Oh yes - AtW - nice to see that you are posting the same stuff as ever!

I will stop when I buy a house

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                      Yes, but surely borrowing (and paying back on time consistently) helps boost up your credit rating? Was what I heard, anyway.
                      I've had 5 flawless mortgages all paid off and I use my credit card but generally pay back the balance each month. And years ago 2 loans. Adn I'm on the electoral roll.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X