• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McClaren for the Chop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Sorry didnt get the sarcasm, thought you were one of the latter.
    No probs sas, next question asked is who are our world class players to take us forward ?

Well my view is that Stevie G is a world class midfielder, Owen is a world class striker when fit which isn't often, so that rules him out.
    Rooney is an excellent player, but I wonder about international level, but he might just creep into the world class level and has time to be able to take us forward.
    The last might be a little controveral - Rio.... superb for club of late and I really think he is starting to show how good a defender he is, just needs to bring the ball out of defense.

Thats all I would class a "world class" and the rest are very good club players, but we need a balanced team with structure...

Comment

Sorry didnt get the sarcasm, thought you were one of the latter.
      We need a sarcasm smilie!!!

MODS! ADMINS!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

All depends what you term as "World Class". I would suggest that such a classification really only ought to apply to players that would undeniably walk into any team in the world. Not sure how many that applies to with regards to England although I would suggest Stevie Gerrard comes closest. However, individual brilliance whilst helpful need not be of critical importance. What is far more elevant is how the team perform in unison. For that to be maximised one needs a manager/coach that has a good and effective system. He needs the shrewdness to be able to spot the players that will play to that system most effectively and he needs to be able to motivate the players and get them to believe in such a system. I think where McClaren falls down most is in this area of motivation. These top players are unlikely to truly have belief in someone who has no track record of success as either a player or a manager. There are very few in the World that have this at the moment and out of those there are, none are English. Scolari or Hiddink should have been made offers they could not refuse when it became obvious that Sven was not cutting it. They were not and the FA must shoulder the blame.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          All depends what you term as "World Class". I would suggest that such a classification really only ought to apply to players that would undeniably walk into any team in the world. Not sure how many that applies to with regards to England although I would suggest Stevie Gerrard comes closest. However, individual brilliance whilst helpful need not be of critical importance. What is far more elevant is how the team perform in unison. For that to be maximised one needs a manager/coach that has a good and effective system. He needs the shrewdness to be able to spot the players that will play to that system most effectively and he needs to be able to motivate the players and get them to believe in such a system. I think where McClaren falls down most is in this area of motivation. These top players are unlikely to truly have belief in someone who has no track record of success as either a player or a manager. There are very few in the World that have this at the moment and out of those there are, none are English. Scolari or Hiddink should have been made offers they could not refuse when it became obvious that Sven was not cutting it. They were not and the FA must shoulder the blame.
          The emphasis on "world class" players is misinformed. Look at the rugby team - only maybe 2 or 3 (if that) would get into the best 15 in the world. But they have become greater than the sum of their parts.
          Or look at the Greek team that won the Euro and have qualified again. Quite a few are over 30, none you would call world class. Yet they played as an unbreakable unit.
          Get rid of the stars and get some young hungry players you can mould into a team.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

The emphasis on "world class" players is misinformed. Look at the rugby team - only maybe 2 or 3 (if that) would get into the best 15 in the world. But they have become greater than the sum of their parts.
            Or look at the Greek team that won the Euro and have qualified again. Quite a few are over 30, none you would call world class. Yet they played as an unbreakable unit.
            Get rid of the stars and get some young hungry players you can mould into a team.
            Furthermore, how many of the Italian world cup winning team of three months ago could the man in the street name today?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
              Furthermore, how many of the Italian world cup winning team of three months ago could the man in the street name today?
              The average man on the street not many

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                The average man on the street not many
                Sorry I meant average footy fan.

They might get Del Piero, who came on as sub, and Totti because of his name.

Comment

depends on whether they are Italian or not ?
                  Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                    Well obviously not.

Comment

Sorry I meant average footy fan.

They might get Del Piero, who came on as sub, and Totti because of his name.
                      Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                      Well obviously not.
                      I'm sure a few could remember Gattuso...

Comment

Working...
                      X